Hunter 34 large mast step

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I am looking at pulling my mast in the near future to deal with the compression post issue that at this time has caused a minor squish in the forward side of the header. I’d like to do the repair from the top as described in the Owner Modifications http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=267&cat_id=31&aid=7802&page=article&mn=34
This article is written for a boat with the small mast step and I have an ’83 with the large mast step plate with integral blocks so I’m wondering if someone has removed this base plate and can tell me how the assembly comes apart. I am assuming the mast simply lifts off the base, then I can remove the bolts from the base and it should come up, am I right so far? Where is the wiring chase in this mast step? Any red flags with doing this work from the topside?
Charlie

Attachments

Last edited:

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Good luck! Please post and share your experience as you go through the process.

Sep 21, 2012
Hunter 34 Bay City
Did the same job a couple of years ago. Remove the bolts and step will come off the deck. The wire chase was a thin pvc tube. I had to clean out the tapped holes for the step as mine did not sit flush on the deck - initial quality issue.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Did the same job a couple of years ago. Remove the bolts and step will come off the deck. The wire chase was a thin pvc tube. I had to clean out the tapped holes for the step as mine did not sit flush on the deck - initial quality issue.
Thanks for the info. Did you do a new compression post or just rebed the mast step? I am assuming the project would be just like done in the job in the Upgrades section except the new plate added under the mast step would be larger to match the size of the existing mast step.

Also, I am adding a radar and wind instrument to the mast electrical so I'm guessing the old electrical conduit will not be large enough to accommodate the new wire bundle.

Jan 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Dunkirk, NY
Charlie, How did it work out? I need to re-wire my antenna as a previous owner cut off the wire too deep to reach inside the step. What did you find when you removed the step plate?

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Larry, I haven't got around to this project yet. I spent too much on new electronics this year so it will likely have to wait until next winter so I can save up enough $$.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
The wiring on mine ( coax and 2x2 wire electric) runs from inside- through the channel on the port side on top the bulkhead and up through the deck in a piece of about 1.25 inch plastic conduit. The conduit is filled with calk around the wires and a piece of string that runs back to the instrument panel to enable you to pull another wire/cable. When you do add another, tie a new piece of cord to it to leave another messenger cord in place. You will have to remove enough of the calk to provide space for the new wire. Re-calk after.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 34 Clubfoot Creek, The Moorings
I plan to remove the mast this spring as well, and intend to follow the advice from the "mod from the top" by Ian.
I sent a message to "Heart of Gold" requesting the additional pic's. Maybe he will post them here for all to see.

If would be helpful to see some pic's of the original mast plate after the mast is removed, or some spec's for the new plate. I am aware that it is a custom part, but would like to source the stainless plate and tube material before I begin. My plate is the smaller one, that Ian shows in his mod. I currently do not have the compressed cabin top, but I do have soft compression post, and would like to replace post and standing rigging before sailing again.