Hunter 34 interior stain for early models 83-87 & others of this vintage

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I recently had to repair a section of interior trim on my h34 in the head. One of the wood bulkheads and a door. Over the past 35 years of ownership of this boat I have used all kinds of teak oils and sealers on new unfinished teak before. It never truly matched up with the original factory finish.
Some of the interior woods are not teakwood. In an effort to keep costs down Hunter used mahogany and oak wherever they could and then stained and sealed everything the same. Some may recall the 1986 model that was available with natural oak cabin interior.

Well after 35 years think I have finally found a match.
The stain is by a company called Zar Wood Finishes. www.zar.com
Stain color is #120 Teak Natural. Available in quart and gallon sizes.
This stain is in my opinion a 99% match. I truly can't see any deference between the factory Finnish and the Zar finish. This color appears to match my friends 1981 Hunter 33
& 1984 Hunter 40 so it will most likely match most of the boats manufactured in the 80's.

I have used minwax gun stock, and mixed gun stock with fruit wood any many others in an attempt to match the factory Finnish with little success.
Zar #120 teak natural is as close as it gets.
I stained the pieces today and have to wait 24 hrs to completely dry before I can seal them which I plan to do tomorrow. I will take some pics tomorrow after its dry.
So far looks awesome!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks Robbie.. I also have a few cans of "mix" that I have used for stuff.. close but no cigar.. I will try some ZAR and see what it does.. This is my latest on my removable step for my vertically challenged Admiral.Close but not quite.. It is a pretty good match for the step pad though..

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
IMG_1737.JPG
Bulkhead the trim is old Finnish & bulkhead panel is zar finish
IMG_1736.JPG
Door for head. Frame is original old Finnish panel is new zar stain
IMG_1735.JPG
Shower seat 3 old sections & 3 new with zar​

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I took pics after it has dried 24hrs later and one cote of teak oil. As you can see the color match is outstanding. I can't see a difference at all. Now looks like I am going to have to go all around the rest of the cabin and touch up 35 years of scratch and dings.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
"Bon, mon ami, you have used the little grey cells well!" Looks perfect.
I may try it on my 84 o'day. Love that it comes in half pints, I am tired of throwing out unused quarts. Which teak oil will you use?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have been using Deks Olje #1. For the past thirty years.
It's a Matte Finish and last about 3-4 years on the interior and 4- 6 months exterior.
They make #2 that is used I believe after #1 that is a glossy Finish.
I have never used it.

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Daly's Fish oil? is the original and it is available on this site. I have used it and i can vouch for it.
upload_2017-4-3_21-48-7.png
upload_2017-4-3_21-48-7.png

Jan 13, 2015
Hunter 34 Deep Bay, BC
I read somewhere a year or two ago that my '83 H34 was originally finished with Daly's SeaFin Teak Oil and have been using that ever since, and it seems to match perfectly. And comically now, as I write this post, there is an ad below me for exactly this stuff with the comment "Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier."

Sep 25, 2018
hunter 27 tall menominee marina Michigan
I'm glad I did a forum search for interior stain,,,Thanks to Capt Robbie,,,,Zar 120 Natural teak will be my next purchase,,,I have a considerable amount of water damage about 5 inches up from floor,,lower edges are peeling?? hope I can glue veneer back on,,,I had bought a can of MinWax cherry one step,,which I'll use on the cockpit table and hatchway boards,,, Lots of winter work.