Hunter 34 Harken Unit 2 Furler Line Size

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
My boat yard replaced my furling line 2 years ago (they lost the original line when unstepping the mast for storage) and I am realizing a little too late that the reason I have difficulty unfurling the genoa is that the furling line is too thick and jamming in the drum as it goes into the drum with over-rides (making it hard to pull out the genoa) as well as overfilling the drum. The run of the line is correct as per the Harken manual. Can anyone tell me what size line they are using? I read the threads prev posted and it seems that 3/8 " is appropriate. Any help appreciated as there is no mention in either the Hunter or Harken manuals.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I just bought a replacement furling line for the same furler. I bought 5/16" low stretch,; I think I bought 65 feet.
That is for a 110 jib.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just have to know their site.
Here is the link.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My Harken MkIV furler came as a complete system. It included the stanchion kit.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Just have to know their site.
Here is the link.
Thank you! Will go with that.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
I did 3/8 but then I stripped the core out out of about half the line. The cover is plenty strong and lays flat when it rolls up on the furler. This helps avoid the issue like you are having of overrides and filling up the furling drum too quickly. I've furled in 30+ knots without issue. If you do this make sure you whip/stitch the core/cover where you separate it so that it doesn't creep on you. Been running this for 2 + years now and never and issue.