Hunter 34 fuel tank depth

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
Can any of you that have replaced the fuel tank on the Hunter 34 (1984) tell me if the depth of the tank is consistent from forward to aft? It appears to me that this tank may be shallower aft then it is forward, but access is extremely limited so hard to tell for sure. I want to install a Maretron gauge that measures the height of the fuel in the tank but if the tank depth is not the same throughout, I could be receiving false data. Thank you!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
If I recall correctly, there is a slight difference in the depth and you're right that the aft section is shallower. I Installed a Wema gauge with a vertical sender in the deeper forward section (see pics). It has been years but I believe the depth there is 16''. The vertical sender was 15'' and it suited me fine since I figured I would get a reading close enough to avoid running out of fuel. I keep a very detailed log with engine hours and fuel usage, and so far the gauge has been very close to being dead on. IOW when it reads about half full, I can pump in a little over 11 gallons. Considering the posted capacity of 25 gallons and the fact that my sender is 1'' from the bottom, I am happy with the unit. And the vertical senders seem to have less issues than the folding arm ones. Good luck with your decision...and installation if you do go ahead.

Attachments

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Like Claude, mine is 16” deep at front. I have an 15” WEMA, too.

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
Thanks! I’ve been doing the same with regard to monitoring fuel usage and was surprised to find I still had 12.5” of fuel left after an estimated 18 hrs of run time. I estimate on the cautious side but that’s still less than 1/4 of the 25 gallon tank usage in 18 hours. Maybe I’m being too cautious but that’s what got me looking into the varying depths of the tank possibility. Anyway I’m going to install the Maretron which hooks up to my 2k network and see what I get. It shoots a beam to the fuel level to calculate capacity. At least like you, it’ll be a close proximity to reality. Any tips on cutting the hole and preventing debris falling in the tank? I’ve read where some use a hole saw but don’t go all the way through, then finish off with a hand saw/knife.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I manually [hand pump] mine out. Then, cut out for the 8" inspection plate. Then [with gloves on] wiped out the debris and remaining diesel. Then, cut out for the WEMA.

I used this to make the circle cut. Very little debris! Circle Cutter

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I had cut a 10'' hole to install a Stainless Steel inspection plate. After cutting the hole with a jig saw, I pumped all the fuel out and thoroughly cleaned the tank before installing the plate and its cover. It was a no-brainer to install the Wema fuel gauge sender in the center of the inspection cover.