Hunter 34 - Fuel Tank Baffles & Modifications

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Has anyone installed an inspection port into an original Hunter fuel tank for an early 1980s model 34 footer? And did you discover any baffles inside the fuel tank? I need to do a cleaning of the tank to fix fuel bug issues I'm having and looking for advice from anyone who has tread this path before me.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just a word of caution on Allan's installation instructions:

1620323542640.png

I would not recommend the use of butyl tape around diesel fuel. A few years ago I had a large clean up job to remove butyl tape which had been sandwiched between two plates of 3/4" Starboard. I wound up using solvent which did a quick and clean job. Diesel fuel is only a few cuts heavier than solvent components.

The only sealant I have found which will truly stick to poly is Permatex #2 and is resistant to petroleum products as well.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Just a word of caution on Allan's installation instructions:

View attachment 193782

I would not recommend the use of butyl tape around diesel fuel. A few years ago I had a large clean up job to remove butyl tape which had been sandwiched between two plates of 3/4" Starboard. I wound up using solvent which did a quick and clean job. Diesel fuel is only a few cuts heavier than solvent components.

The only sealant I have found which will truly stick to poly is Permatex #2 and is resistant to petroleum products as well.

All,

The butyl tape was only temporary to keep it from sliding around while I marked the location of the holes. Sorry for the confusion. The inspection plate and ring comes with its own gasket which is then used.

Allan