Hunter 34 depth transponder location

Mar 31, 2020
Hunter 34 San Rafeal
I have a Hunter 34 and I am upgrading the instruments (Data Marine gear is dead) and I am trying to locate the depth transponder. I found the speed transponder, but for the life of me, cannot find the depth one. Can anyone let me know where to find it? Also, has anyone installed an in-hull transponder on a Hunter 34? The thru-hull speed transponder is smaller then the modern ones built by Airmar. I assume the depth one is of the same size (if I can find it). The easiest thing may be to install an in-hull one next to the front bilge pump. I believe the fiberglass is solid there. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Also, has anyone installed an in-hull transponder on a Hunter 34?
You'll have to check your own hull location for yourself. Refer to the archives for how to test for hull composition for this installation.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Where did you find the speed transponder ? The depth is likely not far. On my 34 the original was Data Marine and both depth and speed transponders were installed in the cubby holes under the front V-berth. Port and starboard. I replaced with Raymarine years ago and enlarge the holes. Easier than creating new ones and patching up the old ones. As for the front bilge pump you are talking about, if you are refering to the one under the floor in front of the head, it is actually a sump pump for the shower sump and not a bilge pump. Every 34 I've been on had the same set-up with 1 bilge pump under the floor in front of the galley table.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Also, has anyone installed an in-hull transponder on a Hunter 34?
Different model boat here, but our original working depth transponder is located right next to the speed transponder, just forward of the keel's leading edge. A few years ago I added a shoot-through-the-hull transponder back by the prop strut for our chart plotter. Just follow the maker's instructions and do some tests with a zip lock bag full of water as a pillow. You need to pick a spot that has no FRP voids/pockets.

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Lake Norman
On my 1984 34 it is under the rear bunk under the lift out cover close the engine compartment which is absolutely the wrong place since it is behind the keel. I guess I am protected if I am backing up. Not sure if this was original with the boat on done by Previous owner. I have purchased a Raymarine in hull transducer that I plan to mount under the center drawer in the V berth. This way it is at least in front of the keel. I will test with it in a bag full off water before I glue it down. Some also say you can use a liberal amount of Vaseline but I think that will make to big of a mess to clean up.

Mar 31, 2020
Hunter 34 San Rafeal
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll keep looking. The speed transponder is under the floor board access where the bilge pump is located. Strange why they did not install the depth there as well. I'll let you know if my search is successful. Hopefully, the depth transponder was changed with a one that allows me to install a new one compatible with my n2000 system (Raymarine ST70). Don't want to pull the boat only to install a new thru-hull transponder.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll keep looking. The speed transponder is under the floor board access where the bilge pump is located. Strange why they did not install the depth there as well. I'll let you know if my search is successful. Hopefully, the depth transponder was changed with a one that allows me to install a new one compatible with my n2000 system (Raymarine ST70). Don't want to pull the boat only to install a new thru-hull transponder.
My suggestion
You can get a Triducer from Raymarine which has both depth & speed in the same unit. It will be plenty good enough for your cruising.
You want to use the existing hole, and enlarge it for the Airmar unit. This is relatively easy.
There are 2 ways to do this.:
Get a wooden plug the same size as your speed xducer, put a pilot hole in the center. Firmly install it in the existing fitting, using tape, or whatever to bush up its size exactly.
Or, just epoxy it in. Then, from outside the boat just use a hole saw, and cut the new hole, which will remove the old fitting in the process.
Or....
You can buy hole saw arbors that permit your to stack in 2 saws. Use the smaller for the pilot, and larger for new size.
Definitely don’t install an inside the hull depth. No point, as you can have a perfect solution with the triducer.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Don't want to pull the boat only to install a new thru-hull transponder.
But I thought the question here was how to install an IN HULL depth transducer :rolleyes:.

I even dug up one reference for you in the archives:

See post #7. Leave the old transducer in place unless you want a real fiberglass job to deal with.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
But I thought the question here was how to install an IN HULL depth transducer :rolleyes:.

I even dug up one reference for you in the archives:

See post #7. Leave the old transducer in place unless you want a real fiberglass job to deal with.
I thought you were upgrading both speed & depth. The datamarine speed xducer won’t work with the new Raymarine units, so you need to change that in any case.
That was the interpretation I had.
As long as your existing transducer size is smaller than your new one, drilling to the larger size is easy.
I agree that hauling out costs money, but if you’re investing in new gear, you might need to consider this.
Good luck

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
On my 1984 34 it is under the rear bunk under the lift out cover close the engine compartment which is absolutely the wrong place since it is behind the keel. I guess I am protected if I am backing up. Not sure if this was original with the boat on done by Previous owner. I have purchased a Raymarine in hull transducer that I plan to mount under the center drawer in the V berth. This way it is at least in front of the keel. I will test with it in a bag full off water before I glue it down. Some also say you can use a liberal amount of Vaseline but I think that will make to big of a mess to clean up.
my transducer is mounted next to the speed wheel in the shower sump

Mar 31, 2020
Hunter 34 San Rafeal
I found the transducer in the fore peak cubby area. Unfortunately it is the original one and will need to be replaced. Going to install a in hull Raymarine P79s Smart transducer. I think for ease of installation plan to put it next to the shower sump. Wish me luck.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
On my 1984 34 it is under the rear bunk under the lift out cover
That’s where the depth transducer was located on my ‘88 Hunter 33.5;
Under aft berth adjacent to port side of engine. It was epoxied to inside of hull. The speed transducer was located forward under the V berth.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Little late adding here.. Mine is thru hull and is just forward and to port of the keel. it is thre hull, but is not in a removable fitting.. .. The round circle in the shower sump.. The speed transducer is under the access plate just forward and to starboard..
P2040768.JPG