Hunter 34 1983 certificate of origine

Mar 14, 2021
Hunter Hunter 34 Lake Champlain
Hi fellow Hunter owners,

I recently bought a Hunter 34, 1983. The sailboat is currently in a marina located at the west end of Lake Erie. For now I am planning to do a minimal refit, shake down and cruising in this area.

I am planing to bring it back to Canada eventually. An import broker recommended that I present a certificate of origine to avoid custom tax since the boat was built in and US and should be covered by the North American free trade agreement. Does anyone know where I could find the certificate of origin?

I will also be looking for the motor emission compliance certificate to certify that the Yanmar 3 GM, was compliant to the emission legislation standard at the time of construction.

I found very useful information on Hunter 34 and Hunter forums, Hunter owner store and online owners manual on-line but many peaces of the puzzle seems to be missing.

I am sure I will have many more questions but for now, these are the ones that comes in minds right away;

- Number of thru-hulls and seacocks from factory ?
- List of basic navigation equipment from factory?
- Basic standard running rigging plan?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

1. certificate of origin - I would have thought a copy of the boat title and bill of sale with HIN, signature of the Sellers and signature of Buyer notarized would be all you require with the Seller's signature on the registration, if state registered. As I understand the only way for you to buy, keep and bring the vessel from the US into Canada is through importing it. Your vessel becomes a Canadian boat only after it's properly imported and licensed. You need to follow the import laws of Canada so you can operate the boat legally in the waters of the country.

Please refer to this link entitled "Importing a Boat": Importing a Boat - BoatDealers.ca Article

Please refer to boat HIN information:
2. Number of thru-hulls and seacocks from factory? Refer to the owner's manual in this link

3. List of basic navigation equipment from factory? compass, depth and speed indicator at the helm and masthead wind direction indicator.....that is what my 1987 Hunter 31 came with......I added navigation display, radar and wind meter

4. Basic standard running rigging plan? Refer to the owner's manual in this link

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021
Thank you very much for the welcome, the congratulation and the information !

Time will tell the extent of the refit needed but it looks promising since it was a single owner boat, seems that except for the last few years it has always been well maintain on top of staying in fresh water at the same marina all it's life.

I have the original bill of sale, the owners certificate, the HIN and my bill of sale. Should be sufficient to clear custom and register the boat in Canada but the import broker told that the more documents I have in hand the easier the process would be at custom. So he recommended to have certificate of origine and engine certificat of emission compliance, if possible.

The basic nav. instrument from factory, seems to be very basic :) lol

For the running rigging, I have looked at the doc's in the Hunter download but I was hoping that some one would have some kind of schematic diagram with Main, Jib, Genoa, Roller furler , traveler, Toping and reefing lines.

Thanks again!

Feb 21, 2013
The certificate of origin is described on the HIN. Have an engine surveyor provide engine certificate of emission compliance.

Once you review the manual, myself and the forum are happy to answer any specific questions about rigging. Plan to replace the running rigging.....I like new lines.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021
Yes, I think you are correct about the documentation unless some one as a Hunter certificate of origine handy. The link you gave me for the owner manuals, it seems to have more then what I had found before (roller furler manual), much appreciated!

Agreed for the new running rigging but appart from the main halyard and the topping lift lines that are running in the mast all the lines seems to be in pretty good shape, hopefully I do not have to bring the mast down to re run them. That being said I will not hesitate to replace any lines if needed.

According to the surveyor, the standing rigging is also in good shape. Wish me luck to tune B&R rig properly.

Any suggestion on where I could look for a second hand dodger?

Thank you.

Feb 21, 2013
You do not have to drop the mast to replace halyards. Happy to advise how to do that.

Dodgers are custom made so you will not find a used one.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While not the "official Canadian Border Service Agency" the info is laid out pretty clearly.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Capt Yap
First of all congratulations and welcome aboard ⛵
I hope I can answer some of your questions. I am the original owner of 1983 h34
Cannot help with documentation

1) original thru hulls from factory were
Port side forward sink below the water line.
starboard midship raw water inlet for head below water line.
Starboard midship holding tank discharge below water line.
Starboard midship aft galley sink drain below water line.
Port aft engine raw water intake below water line.

above water line
Starboard side:
Forward anchor well drain.
Midship shower sump pump drain.
Midship holding tank vent
Aft bilge pump discharge

Port side:
Midship port side water tank vent

Stern
Fuel vent starboard (some had two or single vent if two one is a diesel tank over flow)
Aft water tank vent

2) Original navigation equipment
binnacle compass only

3) Original factory standing rigging
Jib halyard
Main halyard
Two reef
Boom vang
Traveler sheets
Main sheet and jib sheets.

That was it everything else was optional!
No roller furling, extra halyards from the factory they were as basic as they could get away with. Dealers made lost of money on extra options lol

lots of information on this sites data base.
B&R rig is a little bit tricky to tune even for experience riggers
This rig has a tremendous amount of rake in the mast for a boat of this size
If you have any questions there are lots of h34 owners here that can walk you thru the basics I would suggest to down load a copy of the owners manual if you don’t have one.

hope this is helpful

Capt Robbie ⛵⛵⛵

Mar 14, 2021
Thanks Jssailem, interesting article.

A big thank you to Capt Robbie for the warm welcome and for thanking the time to give me the information on the Thru hulls and rigging. That is greatly appreciated!!

Could you clarify what you mean by RAKE ? do you mean spreaders ? I am from the French part of Canada near Champlain lake. sometimes the sailing technical or not so technical terms gets confusing.

I had downloaded the H34 owners manual and Yanmar 3GM manual a couple of months ago. I read the H34 manual interesting but very basic to say the least. As for the Yanmar 3 GM it's to complete, just kidding lol.

The good news about having the minimal nav. equipment on the boat is that do not have to worry about it being outdated !!!

I have a year old VHF whit AIS and GPS, it's link to my tablet chart plotter so I have the bare minimum to navigate safely in my opinion. The only thing that really bothers me for now is not having a depth sounder. Wondering if I go for the portable, in hull or for the thru hull version to start, not sure I really want to start drilling holes in hull right away.

I think that just with the clean up of he boat and all system (fresh water and grey water thanks), tune up, batteries, running rigging and sails I will have plenty to do just to get going but I am sure that you are all well aware of that being sailboat owners. Any thought on that?

Thank you

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Mast rake is exactly what kappykaplan has explained the h34 b&r rig mast generally speaking is more then most sailboat manufacturers. The mast rake fore and aft greatly effects the way the boat steers. Too much rake and boat will turn up into the wind referred to as weather helm which is ok however you don’t want it to be excessive causing you to over compensate with the ruder. I found that the b&r rig tuning manual recommendation to be a bit excessive and I removed some of the mast rake. By removing some mast rake for my sailing preference allowed the ruder to be much more neutral. Unfortunately mast tuning you will find takes a little bit of trial and error to find the perfect sweet spot. However this is true for any sailboat, I don’t know of any sailor that gets tuning the boat right the first time out on the water.
Always have to make adjustments in multiple wind conditions. I’m sure you will do fine.

Regarding instrumentation.
Good working compass and vhf radio is a must, Chart plotters almost all have gps and speed over the ground very useful. Knot meters I don’t really see the need with today’s chart plotters usually have gps which I’m more interested in speed over the ground. Wind speed and direction are ok however I can feel how fast the wind is blowing and from what direction so that being said nice item to have but in my opinion not necessary. Depth sounder is one instrument that I used all the time, especially where I cruise and sail as the depth is rather shallow and sometimes tricky to navigate. That being said I personally believe that a depth sounder is a must have.

your post indicated that you were concerned about drilling holes in the hull. On your boat this is totally unnecessary to drill hole to install a depth sounder transducer.
Mine has been mounted in the shower sump area for thirty six years and never had an issue getting accurate readings thru the fiberglass hull. My transducer is imbedded in clear silicone however other people have mounted it in wax toilet bowl seal material without any issues.

Hopefully you find this useful and good luck with your new boat.
H34 is a great boat and I’m not saying this because I have the same boat ⛵⛵⛵

Mar 14, 2021
Thanks Capt Robbie for the clarification on the mast rake. Totally whit you on the instrument, depth sounder is a must! will go with the option you suggested, inside the hull in the shower sump pump area.

Thanks again

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Capt Yap,
When you are ready to hook up a depth sounder you will need to place the transducer in a clear plastic bag full of water. Then you need to move it around on the hull to get a good reading. You may have to move it around a bit to find a location in the hull that has no air bubbles or voids in the glass lay up before mounting it.

if you have any questions private message me and I will walking you through it