Hunter 33C side deck rub rail

Nov 13, 2017
Hunter 33 Lake Texoma
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the rub rail on the cabin sides of my 1981 Hunter 33? It currently has a flat gray-colored rubber strip approx 1/4" thick and 3/4" wide that runs along the cabin sides a few inches above the port lights. It appears to be attached with some adhesive backing only, but I haven't really tried to pull it off yet.

Just getting ready to do some painting and want to remove and replace. Thanks for the help!

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
On coachroof above windows? I think you are referring to the eyebrow which as far as I know on all the Cherubinis was teak. I replaced mine with paint. Yours might have been replaced by glue on vinyl of some type. Photo?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
On coachroof above windows? I think you are referring to the eyebrow which as far as I know on all the Cherubinis was teak. I replaced mine with paint. Yours might have been replaced by glue on vinyl of some type. Photo?
Was about to say the same thing.
I still have the original teak eyebrow trim on my ‘82 H30. Just refinished them again last summer. They’re a pain to maintain, but I am willing to do it because I like the look. The Cherubini cabin tops just don’t look right without something there. The gray stick on vinyl molding is an interesting idea. Curious to see photos.

Nov 13, 2017
Hunter 33 Lake Texoma
Thanks for the replies! I pulled the eyebrow off yesterday and it is not original. It was just a strip of vinyl with some adhesive. Just a flat strip. But now you can see the holes where the original trim was attached. A buddy thinks it is automotive, so might try to find something similar.
Here is a photo of what it looked like before.
F69AF16D-327A-42AA-BE20-C899FA31A409.jpeg

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Automotive would be my first guess too. You might also try looking for 3/4” half round trim in exterior grade plastic, vinyl, or even anodized aluminum.

The stainless steel handrails are a modification too. Original handrails were teak and I think in two pieces on the H33.
Personally, I prefer the look of teak eyebrow trim and handrails, but they do require upkeep, and that’s likely why the P.O. got rid of them.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the rub rail on the cabin sides of my 1981 Hunter 33? It currently has a flat gray-colored rubber strip approx 1/4" thick and 3/4" wide that runs along the cabin sides a few inches above the port lights. It appears to be attached with some adhesive backing only, but I haven't really tried to pull it off yet.

Just getting ready to do some painting and want to remove and replace. Thanks for the help!
Since you say that you are getting ready to repaint anyway, may I suggest a potentially time saving and ascetically acceptable (or even visually improving) alternative?

That is: 1) The rubber strip is not original the Hunter teak strip from back in appx 1980 when the boat was manufactured. So a prior owner removed it and covered it up with a rubber one (yuk!). 2) Provided that your portlight frames don't leak, (and even if they do) the teak strip really really serves no purpose of function. 3) Except back in the 70's and early 80's, when customers still revered the look of old wooden boats, production manufacturers like Hunter, Catalina, Pearson, Columbia, and the like would "sprinkle" some teak onto the the new-fangled fiberglass construction. 4) So consider: Pull off the rubber strip. Don't replace. Fill and fair (with epoxy or marine grade 3M bondo) what might remain of the screw holes that originally affixed the teak strip to the edge of the cabin top above the port frames. Then paint over.

Immediately after I bought my 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36, I first thought to renew my teak strips after painting. But after standing back, I really liked the look of them not being there. Much cleaner open look. A plus is that I never need to keep sanding an re-varnishing them. Or worry about drip leaks into the cabin through the screw holes.

Attached is a picture of my "no strip" boat.

Attachments