Hunter 33 Windless Chain Size

Goyo

Sep 10, 2017
Hunter 33 Port Sanlac
Looking for some help as my Hunter 33 is sitting under snow in a -22 C night. I am planning more excursions this year with my 08 hunter 33 and planning to upgrade the anchor rode from 20 ft of chain / 200 ft - 1/2 tipple braid to an all chain rode as I will be doing more anchoring out. The current set up works well with my 35# delta but looking for more secure sleeping while anchoring overnight. Presently my boat has the factory supplied windless which I do not use, rather I take up the anchor the old fashion way and get some exercise. With this said I am looking to understand what chain size would be compatible with the Lumar windless I have installed, i.e. 3/8 BBB or 5/16 G4 ect before I end up hurting myself retrieving the anchor.

Really appreciate any advice to help me plan for this summer !

Cheers

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You need to get the part numbers of your windlass and gypsy. You may find imprinted on the gypsy the chain size.

There is no one size fits all. Even on production boats the owner may have specified a specific gypsy be added to the boat.

Pictures of your set up help. The numbers make it easy.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I am planning more excursions this year with my 08 hunter 33 and planning to upgrade the anchor rode from 20 ft of chain / 200 ft - 1/2 tipple braid to an all chain rode as I will be doing more anchoring out.
Other than a sound sleep, what is your main reason for all chain rode? If you anchor in areas that destroy three strand nylon, such as coral, all chain makes sense. If not, increasing the amount of chain might help some. Our boat came with 30 feet of chain. Later I increased it to fifty and that is what I've used for the past twenty years.

Our anchoring bottoms mostly consist of mud and sand, which make for good holding. I also added a twenty pound kellet to our system, which some call a sailor's sleeping pill. Once set, most anchors will hold well under normal circumstances and even strong winds. In those instances where we've had gale force winds while at anchor, the boat makes such a racket that sleep is almost impossible. When that happens, I'll be on deck anchor watch until conditions ease.

If you have anchoring bottoms similar to ours in the PNW, perhaps the following article I wrote awhile ago will help. As John mentioned, your gypsy size determines the chain size for your boat. If the H33 were my boat, and given the gypsy were of the right size, I would go with 1/4" G4. Plenty strong, less weight and more corrosion resistance.

P.S. If your boat came with 30' of chain and a Lewmar windlass, make sure that that chain fits the Lewmar gypsy. If so, then go with that chain size, but just longer. Whatever that size, I would select G4 over BBB. Stronger and more corrosion resistant.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Really appreciate any advice to help me plan for this summer !
One other note. When selecting anchor chain, make sure you purchase hot dipped galvanized as opposed to galvanized. Big difference in corrosion resistance performance.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You need to get the part numbers of your windlass and gypsy. The numbers make it easy.
I have a spare gypsie here in the house, and it is stamped with the chain size into the metal hub.