Hunter 33 improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Like many of you I have made a few improvements to the old boat. I posted some of them in the improvement section for the older Hunter 33s. You may like to take a look at these changes. The best I believe is replacing the "rug" wall material with bamboo wood planking.

Dec 17, 2006
- - De Pere, WI
Share how you added the bamboo

I think the bamboo looks great - beats dirty old carpet! How did you do this - please share by providing a short synopsis. Thanks, Greg W

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Bamboo lay up

Actually redoing the walls with bamboo was not all that hard. It does take a fair amount of time. The boat was done in sections. First the port side, then starboard, bow and last port aft quarter berth. Take the old wall material off to the fiberglass. Then start on the bottom and test lay the planks up the side of the wall to see where the cut outs for the chain plates will begin. The bottom and/or the top plank will need to be cut length-wise at an angle to make the best fit. The bottom plank was either glued to the seat/wall or a wood screw was placed into the end adjoining wall for support. Then the next plank was cut as needed and put into place and then the next. I did the cutting at the galley sink rather than go up and down each time. It is more a matter of staying with the job than skill. There are a few angle cuts that will drive you crazy but they are few. Then "plastic" mahogany quarter round and base board where nailed at the edges to clean up the look and hold in the planks. By not gluing the planks they are allowed to expand and shrink as needed. This is the best thing I have done on the boat. It feels like a new boat inside :)

Status
Not open for further replies.