Hunter 33 Head Engine Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
This is a report on one of those - one thing leads to another projects. My exhaust elbow needed replacement, but as it could not be removed from the manifold. The manifold had to be removed. After removing the nuts holding the manifold to the engine it was apparent that the manifold would not clear the head wall by about an inch. What to do? Remove the head wall of course :doh: After putting it all back together the results are much better engine access for future engine maintenance. Pictures below.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
There is seemingly no end to the work. On the H37C that starboard engine bulkhead leads to the starboard locker. I forget who but I saw that entire thing removed and it is non-structural. It provided amazing access, much like you have now. But you really had to remove the heat exchanger to get the elbow off? Is it fixed now?

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Manifold

The engine is raw water cooled so no exchanger. The elbow was off two or three years ago without a problem unbolting it from the manifold. This year no such luck everything was held together as one. The elbow rusted so bad that the engine was at quarter power. Just made it into the slip. Was a bit worried as the manifold is out of production and no longer available from Yanmar. Good new is the manifold looks fine and appears almost as new. Also can see now, how to have one made if needed. Actually the whole process turned out well. Missed some sailing, but what else is new?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Paul: A lot of the parts from these older engines (assume QM) were also the ones that were used on many other models. You are probably OKAY.

When I took mine apart, we used two LARGE pipe wrenches with breaker bars. Then we used a torch to heat up the individual parts (elbow & manifold) one at a time. The did come apart, but this was not with wimpy old tools that most of us have aboard.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
When the elbow was taken off a few years ago the mounting was taken off the manifold rather than unscrewing the elbow from the mounting. This year the mounting was rusted on the manifold and was not removable. Putting together an elbow from pipe parts as described on this site in past years was always interesting to me. Also a friend told me about building one for his boat's engine. So, the elbow was cut at its neck entering the manifold and a pipe was welded inside the elbow's neck. From there it was easy to build a replacement elbow complete with water cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.