Hunter 33, Can I change my keel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tricia Verhelle

1981 Hunter 33 Has anyone modified their keel? Have a 5' keel, but looking for a shoal keel or a winged keel with a lesser draft. Need to get 1' off keel. Please advise how and where your keel was modified. Thank you!

E

Ed Schenck

Call Mars.

Sounds iffy, and real expensive. But I would call the company that probably makes 90% of the keels, Mars Metal: http://www.marsmetal.on.ca/ e-mail: mars@bserv.com 1-800-381-5335

J

Jay Hill

Another Option

If you like the Cherubini style boat, the easiest way to get 4' draft is buy the shoal version H33. I think it would be cheaper to find a new boat than to change the keel on your own. H37C also has a shoal version AND gives you the excuse to move up. Option 2 is to buy a 2-3" thick piece of iron and have it cut in a "neato" wing shape with smoothed edges. Then cut the appropriate amount of keel off the bottom and bolt/weld the wing plate on it. The wing width could be up to about 50% (my design is 42%) of beam width, as long as the keel, and would allow you to go on the hard in low tide much like the Scheel Keel. On the other hand, we have seen threads here concerning the structural capability of a Hunter to rest on it's keel. I am afraid to ask an engineer what they think of this plan as I am certain they would say I am completely nuts. What do all of you think? (About the plan that is; comments regarding my sanity are not invited.) I haven't worked out the formula yet, but I think the extra 1,000 lbs. and the foil of the wing will overcome the added wetted surface area and should allow me to carry more sail above 18 knots. Then again, she'd be a little slower in the light air. If one ever ran aground in soft mud with this plan, it would be nearly impossible to free the vessel any direction but backwards. But since I haven't run aground in well over a week, this is probably not a problem either.

E

Ed Schenck

How much money ya' got?

I like Jay's first idea since I own a shoal draft H37C. You could probably sell the H33, buy mine, and have money left over. Ed(schencked@bfusa.com)

H

herbie

A LITTLE INFO

on changing your keel...a friend changed his keel on his 40 Tartan. He had his new keel manufactured /purchased from a company, if I remember correctly from Canada. I watched the process and it went well for him..he cut his original keel off with a chain saw...made a template...had his new keel made to order. Send me your e address and I'll make contact with him and possibly get the info you desire. This proceedure was in a boating magazine...maybe someone can put a name on which one. herbie S/V White Satin herbies@home.com

S

Sam Lust

Not such a big deal

If you want to remove the existing keel and bolt on a new one, forget it. It would be plainly insane in terms of time and money. If , on the other hand you mean MODIFY your existing keel, by all means go ahead. All you'll be doing is essentialy creating a bulb keel similar to the factory shoal keel. The engineering has already been done. It works. (I have one) This project was covered in a article in Sail Magazine (If failing memory serves) within the last two years. In essence, you have Mars Metal make up a pair of bulb slugs which conform to the shape of the existing keel where you want it placed. (I believe they'll even help with the engineering.) Cut off the unwanted keel section, drill and bolt on the new lead slugs, fair it in pretty and go sailing. She'll be a little less weatherly and might tend more to weather helm, but you'll be less likely to get stuck in the muck. (A favorite passtime for us Barnegat bay sailors.) Do NOT try to hang some kind of cast iron abortion from the keel. It won't work and will destroy any resale value your boat has. There's a Columbia 36 for sale around here that the owner did that to and he can't give it away.

J

Jay Hill

Sam, are you sure...

...it's the keel modification that keeps the Columbia 36 from being an attractive purchase? Just kidding :)

S

Sam Lust

I think so ---sort of

Columbias still have a bit of a following around here and the boat's kind of neat. What the guy did is appaling. He took a big piece of flat iron and used a torch to raggedly cut out a pointed, elongated ring which he slapped onto the keel where he had cut off about 2 feet. It's held (?) in place with an assortment of bolts, wire and bubble gum. There are big gaps and ragged edges everywhere. A case study in how NOT to create a shoal keel.

Status
Not open for further replies.