• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Hunter 33 Bilge hose setup

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
Look at the plumbing diagram it's hard to make out what's what.

From the bilge to the stairs is a 3/4" hose. At the stairs it makes a sharp turn and I think it stays 3/4". How is it making the turn here? Is it an elbow or is it a bend in the hose which could kink?

There is the shower bilge hose too in the area under the stairs. It appears to be 3/4" as well. Is that the case?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Rabe, You're asking about the plumbing on a 40 +/- year old boat that has had
many (?) owners. There is little chance that the hoses you see are original in size or configuration. These kinds of issues are common to new owners of old (and some not so old)
used boats.
You should look at EVERY system on your boat, determine how you want them to function, then source the best material available and re-do them. You should develop a plan for each by asking specific questions here regarding your objectives and issues. Forums are a good resource for recommendations as to what works now in a given scenario. Not so much for divining what was the rational for a previous owner's decisions.

I look forward to your first project post.

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Thanks Grizzard,

I'm the third owner on this boat. The plumbing in my boat is original.

The question is pretty specific. The original manual and the scans in the download section are a little fuzzy in this area.

Is it an elbow or is it a bend in the hose. Sure I can look at it and I guess with your response I'm better off doing that the next time I'm up there.

But I had hoped that while I was thinking about something that I noticed, that I might ask in the hopes that someone might have an idea. Since I'm 90 minutes away and not returning for a few day.

I wasn't asking why the previous owner did something.

I was asking what hunter did.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Think it was that ultra cheap, but highly flexible, corrugated bilge hose without elbows in the bilge area. Never really looked closely at that. Hunter Owners Manual says 3/4" .

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Think it was that ultra cheap, but highly flexible, corrugated bilge hose without elbows in the bilge area. Never really looked closely at that. Hunter Owners Manual says 3/4" .
Thanks for the info :)

Yes, definitely 3/4"

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That's what my Hunter had. I replaced it with smooth bore hose for better flow, but mostly because that cheap crap had a tear behind the seat and would leak back into the bilge.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
The original prints, pictures, whatever you call them were no more than a basic idea. No relation to reality. Each and every boat was different . You naad, as others suggest, to follow out all of your systems and replace junk. Sorry, but 1980s Hunter was not known for wasting money on great materials.