Hunter 33 - batteries

Dec 8, 2020
Hunter 33 Gloucester Point, VA
Hello all! We are new to this forum and recently purchased a new-to-us 2005 Hunter 33. I would like to setup a decent battery configuration for day sailing, with the occasional overnight. Today we have two Interstate SRM-31 deep cycle lead acid house batteries, which offer 98Ah each, but realistic power with parallel configuration is 50%(?) so 98Ah total I assume. I'm hoping the group could answer a couple questions:
  1. The boat does not appear to have a separate starter battery? Is this common with the Hunter 33?
  2. I would like a basic solar configuration to help with battery charge while under sail. Unless my math is wrong, I believe I would need 200 watts of solar just to recharge these batteries in ~8hours. Does anyone have a similar configuration they can share details about?
I am concerned about power use, especially considering there does not appear to be a spot for a starter battery. While sailing, I believe we would need to rely on the batteries for:
  1. Lights. We have replaced all bulbs with LEDs. Of course they won't be used during daytime hours.
  2. Instruments (wind, depth & speed) but we will use Navionics on an iPad as our primary navigation.
  3. VHF Radio.
  4. Fans 4x12V in the cabin.
  5. 12V fridge, but we will likely bring a cooler for day sailing.
For now, I thinking (with a great amount of hesitancy) these batteries will suffice based on our projected sailing activities for the upcoming season, so I would like to keep on to a fairly tight budget. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! :rolleyes:

buddy0

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Oriental, NC
Congratulations on your new Hunter! I also own a 2005 Hunter 33.

Last year I took out my start battery and group 27 house battery and replaced them with two true deep cycle, 105 amp hour, group 31, batteries for my house bank. Looks like your PO did the same thing. However I did buy a portable battery pack from Costco to use as my emergency "starter" battery. I just top it off when at dock periodically. I only did this last year, but so far haven't used the starter pack (but I have loaned it out). I do have a couple of flexible solar panels that I use at various times.

I went through a lot of measuring and calculations and this is the best setup I came up with for the space (I wanted to stick with deep cycle.)
I really wanted to make golf cart batteries work, but IMHO there is just not enough height available in the existing space. This is the most deep cycle ah that I could fit comfortably and economically.

-buddy

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's always the risk of not having a dedicated start battery that you may not have enough juice to fire up the engine. I have 2 House and 1 start battery and I still keep a portable jump starter just in case. I do not want to ever have to sail back into my marina.

Dec 8, 2020
Congratulations on your new Hunter! I also own a 2005 Hunter 33.

Last year I took out my start battery and group 27 house battery and replaced them with two true deep cycle, 105 amp hour, group 31, batteries for my house bank. Looks like your PO did the same thing. However I did buy a portable battery pack from Costco to use as my emergency "starter" battery. I just top it off when at dock periodically. I only did this last year, but so far haven't used the starter pack (but I have loaned it out). I do have a couple of flexible solar panels that I use at various times.

I went through a lot of measuring and calculations and this is the best setup I came up with for the space (I wanted to stick with deep cycle.)
I really wanted to make golf cart batteries work, but IMHO there is just not enough height available in the existing space. This is the most deep cycle ah that I could fit comfortably and economically.

-buddy
Great! Appreciate the pic and the details. So the flexible solar panels, are they affixed somewhere on the boat? How many watts? Thanks!

buddy0

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Oriental, NC
My first one from several years ago is velcro'ed to the top of the rear bimini. I sewed one side of adhesive backed velcro on the bimini and stuck the other to the back of the panel. It holds very well but is a slight pain to get off for one person (we had a lot of weather/storm prep last year). Its not putting out the juice that it once was.

My second panel sits in front of the first and is just tied on from the corners. Its wired in parallel. Not as secure, but much easier to get off. I have been taking it off when I'm not sailing and anchoring out. Its a SunPower 110, a better brand than my first knock-off.

Total is rated about 230w, but haven't come close to that, mostly because of old panel. Haven't had both running in optimal conditions yet, so not sure what the max is.

Dec 8, 2020
My first one from several years ago is velcro'ed to the top of the rear bimini. I sewed one side of adhesive backed velcro on the bimini and stuck the other to the back of the panel. It holds very well but is a slight pain to get off for one person (we had a lot of weather/storm prep last year). Its not putting out the juice that it once was.

My second panel sits in front of the first and is just tied on from the corners. Its wired in parallel. Not as secure, but much easier to get off. I have been taking it off when I'm not sailing and anchoring out. Its a SunPower 110, a better brand than my first knock-off.

Total is rated about 230w, but haven't come close to that, mostly because of old panel. Haven't had both running in optimal conditions yet, so not sure what the max is.
Thank Buddy - that is very helpful. Time to go shopping! I need something to help keep the batteries topped up.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Before you drop cash on your project. Breeze thru MainSail's electrical articles

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Two Sails on your new Hunter.
You have likely heard this suggestion, but it is a good one. Do an energy audit of your boat before you go making a lot of changes. You need to get a reasonable handle on the individual systems power consumption. Then you are armed with actual data not best SWAG in deciding how to spend your money.

What are the dimensions of the battery space you are using? Looks like you have a bit more room in the box then the batteries currently stored. Our member @Maine Sail has provided a response to batteries here with a lot of data on their capacities and make up. More info is on his web page at Marine How To - DIY for Boaters - Marine How To.

My take on this in a practical way. I have limited space so if I select the 6 volt battery I will need 2 of them to get me 12 volts. If I choose a 12 volt then if one battery goes dead, I may still have a second to serve serve my needs for a while. Lead is the heavy part of a battery. To get a battery in the 65-75 lb range means more lead is used in it's manufacture. The plates are bigger. They can provide more cycles. They will be designed for deep cycle service. Then I explore the best size to fit my space. Next I look at the specs for the capacity at 20-hr discharge rate. I know that I will only get 50% of the capacity in regular use. Having narrowed the specs down to what will fit on my boat I prioritize the price of the battery.

I found locally in the NW that Dyno a manufacturer in Seattle makes a battery for Sweeper and Aerial lifts that meets my criteria. At about $160 each they give me 135 Ah each or 135 Ah to consume with 2 batteries. That means I can sit at anchor for about 2.5 days without starting the engine. A small light weight (35 lb) starter battery is all that is needed to kick over the diesel engine.

Good luck with your search. Solar is a nice add on and is likely in my future to stretch my at anchor time.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Nice boat, we've enjoyed ours for 14 yrs now. I have 4 Crown golf carts under the settee beside the chart table and a Group 27 start battery that only gets used if everything else dies. I have a 350w solar panel mpounted above bimini. We anchor out all the time and run fridge 24/7, the top load freezer runs partial as a fridge, lights, occasional movie on the tv, stereo etc. Typically have 100% charged by 11:00 each morning and could go a couple of days in cloudy weather. We've been out 5-6 days without having to start the engine and are only restricted by holding tank, water tank and beer supply.

A couple of golf cart batteries will give you 220 ah. and yes I would definatley hook up a 3rd start battery for emergency use only.
20201018_091921.jpg

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
And yes, as Stu pointed out, do some research, starting with an electrical budget of what you're running, for how long and what they draw. Then can figure out how much battery you will need and if you will even need solar at all.

Dec 8, 2020
So picking up this thread again...we had our Hunter out for a full day shakedown this past weekend and I watched the batteries closely. With only the instruments (chart plotter remained off), I found I was dropping in voltage down to 12.3 after about 3 hours. This was operating with a single battery as I wanted to ensure I had good starting power for engine start on the second. To me, I would expect better performance and am thinking this battery may be running at reduced capacity. While I do not know the actual power draw, they are basic Garmin depth,, speed and wind gauges. There were no other electrical components turned on...in fact, all other breakers remained in the off position. I'm hesitant to buy new deep cycles and would like just drop in a single lithium (Battle Born) and keep the existing deep cycles for start. Would welcome any thoughts or shared experiences.