Hunter 33.5 model years

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bonnie DeWolf

We are in the market for a Hunter 33.5; however, it seems that the layout changed slightly each year of production. We are trying to determine which model year the Hunter 33.5 started having the athwartships aft cabin. Does anyone know? I know the 1988 model still had the standard aft cabin.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
I didn't know that

We bought out 1990 H33.5 two years ago. Our aft cabin does not span the width of the boat. I knew there were some differences in the models because of posts here on HOW, but didn't realize there was such a major change.

M

Mark Burrows

1992 it changed

In 1992, Hunter overhauled the 33.5. The foredeck when from sloped to squared, the interior was reconfigured, and a larger engine was installed. Also the a problematic wooden compression post was eliminated. That's the big stuff. The engine change seems to account for the higher prices through the end of the production run in 1994. I think the best qualities of all of the 33.5 are the hull form (pretty fast), lots of interior space, open transom with boxes, non-swept spreaders. Worst qualities: below deck roller furling, compression post, hulls are now 10-15 years in the water (blister potential), running rigging likely to need replacement, other systems near the end of useful life. I wish more 33.5, 35, and 35.5 owners would update their reviews in the HOW review section to see how these boats are holding up. Mark

W

Winky

There where 3 layouts

The original layout (1988) was very much like it's predesesor the H-34, with fore and aft facing dinette seating on the starbord side of the salon, and a port side quarter berth that went all the way aft to the transom, inclusive of going around the rudder post. Some time in 89 there where minor changes made, and Hunter referred to the model as the "walk through," likely do to the pathway to the swim platforum. The principal change to the cabin was that the quarter berth now ended at the rudder post. In 92, the deck shape was changed from the sloping "flush deck" to a more traditional "trunk (cabin)" style, and the model was called the 33.5-T. The cabin changes included the athwart ship aft cabin, and the starbord side salon dinette was changed to be a "U" shape with seating on three sides of a smaller table. If you send me your fax number, I have the plan view drawings of these versions

May 7, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Saint Louis
WOW

That's more information than I've seen posted about a 33.5 in a year. I was dreading a compression post problem on my 1993 model. Apparently a more stable system was devised. We purchased ours a couple of years ago and had several hundred pencil eraser sized blisters throughout the hull. I bit the bullet and barrier coated the hull myself. Love the boat. Easy to single hand. Jeff

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
'92 or later

Buy a '92 or later to get the larger engine. I've read several posts about the smaller Yanmar not being adequate in some situations. Otherwise, people seem to love 'em.

D

Dan Grosz

Potentially interested in selling my '92

I may be interested in selling this year though not an easy choice as I love the boat. Contact me at dan.grosz@gmail.com if interested.

P

Patrick

My 93 has the big cabin

FYI, my 1993 33.5 has the big aft cabin. Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.