• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Hunter 33 (1981) Main Sail

Jan 7, 2021
Hunter 33 Cherubini Ocean City
Looking for information/ advice on new main sail for a Hunter 33 (1981). New sailor and the boat we are looking to purchase does not have a mainsail. Not sure how you lose one... We have the dimensions from the owners manual so getting a sail made shouldn't be an issue. My question is how does the sail attach to the mast and the boom? Slugs? Slides? Any advice would be much appreciated

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Many folks today have loose-footed mains, so the foot connects to the boom at the clew and the tack only. Slides attach the main to the mast.

Jan 7, 2021
Hunter 33 Cherubini Ocean City
Ok makes sense, so the foot is not attached to the boom. How do I detemine what size slugs/ slides attach the luff to the mast?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Looking for information/ advice on new main sail for a Hunter 33 (1981). New sailor and the boat we are looking to purchase does not have a mainsail. Not sure how you lose one... We have the dimensions from the owners manual so getting a sail made shouldn't be an issue. My question is how does the sail attach to the mast and the boom? Slugs? Slides? Any advice would be much appreciated
Welcome to SBO forums and to sailing:)

I would suggest you have a conversation with someone at the SBO store who could help. You could send @Dave Groshong a private message via the forum.

It’s possible that you may require a few other items that he might help with as well.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Hunter 30 Snug Harbor, Lake Champlain
Typically your main sail has a rope along the foot of the main that slides into the boom. Then there are slides that attach to the luff of the sail that runs up the mast. There are a number of systems for these. If you can take photos of the mast where the sail goes, that may help us see what you might have.

But all of this doesn't really matter too much if you find a sailmaker that can come to your boat, take measurements and see that they need for your mainsail. As you are a new sailor, you would do well to use the services of a sailmaker that can provide this service and see what you need. This is difficult to do on a forum. For example, the slugs that my main sail uses to go up the mast are a very specific size - without precise measurements at the mast, there is no way anyone could tell what slugs are needed in my mast...

Just my 2 cents worth...

dj

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First.... get educated... go HERE and study.....It's a good place to get started if you want to learn how sails are measured and priced.

Once you have your sailboat's sail measurements.... you can call around to ANY sailmaker to get a quote.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If I were you, being a new boat owner and all, I would find a local sail loft to come out and measure for my new sail.

You cannot really rely on the as-built measurements.

I purchased my first new sail last year, and was fortunate to have North Sails come out to the marina, measure up for the new main sail, and I was very comfortable that I was going to get the right sized sail. I also went with a loose foot.

You can do the same measurements yourself, but if you have someone nearby, they are happy to come out and sell you a sail. I also wanted a full batten, and based on that requirement, it was recommended I add a Tides Strong Track to help with the friction. I am glad I added the Strong Track.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Give me a call if you'd like, I'm always happy to help if I can

877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific