Hunter 326 Jib/Tracks Modification? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2010
Hunter 326 Bronte Outer Harbour
I just purchased a 2003 Hunter 326. I find that the short jib tracks mounted on the coachroof are a bit of a pain when I single hand (something I do often in the short handed series) because I have to sheet the jib off the winches mounted either side of the companionway. I also dislike the tiny, high cut jib.

I notice that there are places for primary winches to be mounted on the cockpit coamings, so I was wondering if anyone had ever decided to add jib tracks/cars to the deck and run sheets back to primaries in a more traditional setup? I also wonder if this would allow a slightly larger headsail, lower cut? I guess the other question is whether the sail would clear the spreaders if it were bigger and/or would it be possible to get appropriate sheeting angles?

I have to think I am not the only one who doesn't like the factory setup. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Mar 13, 2004
Hunter 356 Port Huron, MI
I had a 2003 326 and added tracks on the deck so I could sail with a 155% for racing. The winches on the coamings are supposed to be installed in addition to the cabintop ones for using an ASM, but are pretty much required to use the larger head sail. The 155% comes back well beyond the spreaders, and runs outboard of the outers. The use of an in-hauler gives better sheeting angles.

I did the same thing with my 356, and the boat now pretty much sails to its rating. If you want more specific information or pictures, contact me directly.

Steve S.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2010
I had a 2003 326 and added tracks on the deck so I could sail with a 155% for racing. The winches on the coamings are supposed to be installed in addition to the cabintop ones for using an ASM, but are pretty much required to use the larger head sail. The 155% comes back well beyond the spreaders, and runs outboard of the outers. The use of an in-hauler gives better sheeting angles.

I did the same thing with my 356, and the boat now pretty much sails to its rating. If you want more specific information or pictures, contact me directly.

Steve S.
Thanks Steve, great info. I would love further info though, pics would be great. I was concerned that a sail the size of a 155% would get interferred with by the spreaders? I was thinking along the lines of a 135% that I could still sheet between the shrouds, although I am not sure.

Jul 23, 2010
Hunter 326 Huntington
Hello

I have 326. After my firt half season I was thinking to add winches on the coamings. It looks like they are missing from there. If you are going to do that let me know which winches are you going to install. I may pass this season and do modification during the winter time.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Steve S, when you added the 155 and outboard tracks what was the sheeting angle that you were able to achieve? If you don't know the angle you could give some measurements that would allow the angle to be determined. The number of inches the car is from the centerline of the boat and the number of inches that the car is along the centerline and back from the tack.

tthomas, I think you will find that a 135 will not be able to be sheeted inside the shrouds. I would suspect a 110 might be the largest headsail that could do this. I would consider having a decksweeper 110 made for racing. This will give the added advantage of a narrow sheeting angle (for pointing) combined with fast tacks. Your sailmaker will be able to advise you what the maximum headsail might be for inboard sheeting.

Jun 15, 2010
I have decided to mount some Lewmar ST 30's on the coamings and go with an Assymetrical for downwind. I also have the sailmaker building a new 110% jib, a much better cut.

Definately not able to go with a bigger foresail and the addition on new tracks/cars doesnt make sense.

Thanks for all the input though.

Status
Not open for further replies.