Hunter 326 bigger headsail

Jan 10, 2012
Hunter 326 Ras Al Khaimah
Hi all,
My 2003 Hunter 326 is coming up to needing new sails.
I am planning to go with a fully battoned mainsail same size as the original but my question is can I run a bigger headsail? She points well with the standard jib but on a beam reach is slower than just about every other boat in light airs and downwind is appallingly slow.
One sailmaker I’m looking at is offering a 135 Genoa which might be a nice option. But can I run that without fouling the spreaders/ standing rigging and without the need to change the tracks with the standard coach roof 4 winches?
Are there any other reasons this might be a bad idea?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Mike

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
You may want to ask the sailmaker how a 135 works on a fractional rig.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
New sails are always fun ! I would definitely consult your sail maker and have them come to the boat to check out the placement of your spreaders and tracks. My Hunter 335 is also fractionally rigged and I did have a 150 % sail for racing- however I mostly sail now with my 110%/ overlapping jib which came with the boat. It's easier to sail solo or with my favorite first mate as its lighter and less cumbersome. I do lose some speed in light airs going downwind and on a broad reach. Which ever way you go enjoy

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In an h326 sail plan the small head sail is used for balance while the large roach mainsail provides the power. Nothing much to be gained in average wind environments.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
The Hunter 326 I sailed was a B&R rig with outboard shrouds. The jib is sheeted between the shrouds and the diamond stays. You really can’t go much bigger than 110%. Maybe push it to 115%, and even that may foul the shrouds or diamonds. I‘ve tried measuring and brainstorming every every which way on my B&R rigged 340 to get a bigger jib, it won’t work. In fact, I would avoid the sailmaker that says he can make a 135% for your boat.
Get an A-sail for the beam reaches and down wind if you want more speed.

Last edited:

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The Hunter 326 I sailed was a B&R rig with outboard shrouds. The jib is sheeted between the shrouds and the diamond stays. You really can’t go much bigger than 110%. Maybe push it to 115%, and even that may foul the shrouds or diamonds. I‘ve tried measuring and brainstorming every every which way on my B&R rigged 340 to get a bigger jib, it won’t work. In fact, I would avoid the sailmaker that says he can make a 135% for your boat.
Get an A-sail for the beam reaches and down wind if you want more speed.

Spot on!!!