Hunter 310 - Replacing traveler line (arch)

Jul 2, 2019
Hunter 310 Pine Beach, NJ
Hi all. Need to replace traveler lines on my 310. Do I need to sew the new to the old to get it down the arch or is the inside of the arch clear enough that I can just push the new one in and it will feed easily down the side?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Anytime you've got an existing line, wire, or hose, and can use it as a pull, treat it as sacred. Even if you just use it to pull a cord through. This tops the list for Boat Repairs 101.

I've had a few cases where I've lost a wire and spent hours of cursing trying to get a new wire through.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I always go for at least 10-12 stitches, butting the ends together, take your time, Ralph is right, if you lose it, life becomes difficult. You can find the traveler control lines here, complete with an eye splice and whipped end:

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
If you have a soft eye on the bitter end, you can tie on a reeving line the existing line out to pull it out and pull in the new line. I use a bowline to tie off the lines.
Otherwise lIke Dave said, you can stitch the butt ends together and hope for the best. You can wrap the spice in rigging tape for extra insurance.
When I change out any of my running rigging, I always have it made up with a soft eye (reeving eye) on one end and a structural eye on the other end for a shackle.
This also comes in handy when we remove our halyards and topping lift for the winter. Even tho we shrink wrap our boat, it doesn’t protect exposed halyards up the mast from slapping and chafing, no mater how tight they are, during a brutal New England winter.