Hunter 310 listed on this site.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
There is a 1997 Hunter 310 listed for sale on this site. What is the average cost per year over a five year period to maintain a boat this size? I am already paying for a 30 foot slip for my H240. My daughter saw the boat in question which is four slips down from mine. I have never owned a boat that I couldn't put on a trailer and take it home to work on. 9041.jpg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I estimate $5000.00/year including slip cost. In your case 30ft will require separate insurance. Homeowners insurance will not cover it.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Oh My Gawd. Why must you remind me of these figures ? Next I'll be calculating the cost per outing for the season.

In my case, and maybe others, it's painful :

Moorage 2022-2023_0001.jpg

For my H-310 moorage $8389.50.
Insurance $800.00
Annual half haul out for cleaning and zincs $350.00
General mechanical maintenance $300.00

Rounded out, $10K.

However, sitting in an anchorage at sunset with two sleeping cabins, large galley, outside shower, and room to swing a cat : PRICELESS

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Oh My Gawd. Why must you remind me of these figures ? Next I'll be calculating the cost per outing for the season.

In my case, and maybe others, it's painful :

View attachment 217148

For my H-310 moorage $8389.50.
Insurance $800.00
Annual half haul out for cleaning and zincs $350.00
General mechanical maintenance $300.00

Rounded out, $10K.

However, sitting in an anchorage at sunset with two sleeping cabins, large galley, outside shower, and room to swing a cat : PRICELESS
Here at Lake Lanier a 31 foot boat slip is $3,000 a year with water and power. People pull every other for hull cleaning and painting if required. I have no idea what engine work costs or fixing a leaking stuffing box.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Here at Lake Lanier a 31 foot boat slip is $3,000 a year with water and power.
Clear a path. At those prices, I'll be over as soon as I can arrange transport :biggrin:.

I have no idea what engine work costs or fixing a leaking stuffing box.
This depends on how much you can do yourself. If you were accustomed to working on your outboard engine, you can easily switch over to doing your own maintenance on a Yanmar diesel. Download the manuals from here and you're all set to go. Winters can be spent learning the engine with an electric heater in the cabin. I wouldn't want to think of the maintenance and alteration costs if I weren't doing my own maintenance.

I have never owned a boat that I couldn't put on a trailer and take it home to work on.
Sounds like you're on your way. And it's not like you're alone in a new and larger boat. You can always refer back to SBO and get embroiled in all sorts of violence and mayhem concerning packing glands vs. dripless seals, mysterious pressure drops in potable water systems, and all sorts of electrical problems. If you enjoy working on this sort of thing, you're journey is almost concluded.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
This depends on how much you can do yourself. If you were accustomed to working on your outboard engine, you can easily switch over to doing your own maintenance on a Yanmar diesel. Download the manuals from here and you're all set to go. Winters can be spent learning the engine with an electric heater in the cabin. I wouldn't want to think of the maintenance and alteration costs if I weren't doing my own maintenance.
This!

The only thing I've outsourced is rigging work, a furler install and strong track install. I couldn't afford sailing if I didn't do the rest myself.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
. The only certainty is that it will always cost more than you think.
With the lower slip fees, my guestimate is $5-7K per year, factoring in bi-annual haul outs and repairs / maintenance. Of course, factor in upgrades to a 26 year old boat & the sky is the limit! Don't worry about the stuffing box, you can repair that yourself. As @JamesG161 advised, get a survey to assess the condition (will need it for insurance purposes anyway) to get a a heads-up as to repairs that may be necessary. Good Luck!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pat. I figure if I did not have a boat, I’d have a hobby like golf. I traded the golf costs and club membership for the cost of the boat.

roughly figure a 30 foot boat will cost between 350 and 550 a month. Costs vary due to slip fee, maintenance level of owners, where and how you use the boat, etc.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I budget about $6K in ownership costs for my 32 foot boat on Lake Michigan…

That includes slip fee and winter storage (about $4,300)
Insurance and state registration. (about $380)
Maintenance….varies depending on projects (averaged about $1,500 a year). Some years were higher when I purchased a new sail, or some other high-priced gizmo.

Importantly, I do all my own work and maintenance. That keeps the cost down a lot.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg
I just did a quick calc.. You have about $11/foot cost. Out here on the coast we are seeing $13 to $14 /foot.

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Greg
I just did a quick calc.. You have about $11/foot cost. Out here on the coast we are seeing $13 to $14 /foot.
Then I am getting a bargain….but I can only sail 6-7 months (April -October).

Greg