Hunter 310 fuel shut off valve location?

Jun 14, 2020
Hunter 310 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
I have searched everywhere without success for a thread on this both here and on other sites. The Hunter manual isn't clear either from what I can see.

Does anyone know where the fuel valve shutoff on a Hunter 310 (1999 in my case) is?
If it's right on the fuel tank, then I have to remove the batteries to access the trap door to it. :( So I just wanted to check first. (I didn't check for that when I was checking my fuel sender.)

Last night I tried emptying the fuel-water separator, thinking the engine kill knob was also the fuel shut off. But as more came out than the separator would visibly hold, I sealed up the separator again. :p

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Update.
Oops, looks like I did finally find a thread on this for other Hunter models...Looks like removing the batteries it is.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. it is typically right at the tank .. I think that may be a boat building code standard standard.. (ABYC 24.14.9.4)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Same boat here. Good taste on your part :biggrin:.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news , but the stop valve is at the tank. While you've got it shut off, do yourself a favour and install a 1/4" dia. ball valve inside as a stop valve.

Below is a shot of the inside stop valve and an arrangement of how to change out the primary fuel filter with the filter body sitting in your lap. No more fuel draining down into the bundles of wiring as installed in the factory.

Fuel Filter and Lift pump R.jpg

Jun 14, 2020
Hunter 310 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
Thanks so much @Ralph Johnstone. As it turns out, a friend showed me this afternoon how to change the fuel filters so I can do it myself in future. (YouTube videos were just missing important bits for me. Anyway I do better being shown once and learning hands on.)
So, rather than remove the batteries to get at the fuel tank and the shutoff valve, what we did was merely pinch the fuel line, just before the fuel-water separator, to stop the flow of fuel and that worked great!