Hunter 31 line attaching the end of boom to top of mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2009
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg, FL
I recently bought an 85 hunter 31 and noticed there is a line attached to the end of the boom that connected to the top of the mast to hold the boom up when not in use. My old boat, an Oday 25 used the mainsail line for this. Do I disconnect this line when going to sail and the mainsail is raised?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Topping lift. It can be adjusted by releasing the line on the boom cleat.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Preserves your head!

The topping lift hold the boom up when the mainsail is down. I set mine below where the main holds the boom, but above my head!

Oct 9, 2009
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg, FL
OK. Topping lift. ;)

Thanks for th eadvice... I will loosen the line when i raise the mainsail. I just didnt know if I removed it entirely when the mainsail is raised. Thanks again!

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Don't remove it entirely, if your halyard parts then the boom will drop into the cockpit.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Add a solid vang and you can eliminate it altogether. A solid vang allows you to dispose of that needless weight aloft (which adds to weather helm) and gives you another valuable sail control. After dropping your main, the halyard can be used to help support the aft end of the boom

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
We have a boom vang but we also use a Boomkicker(R), made of two flexible fiberglass wands that hold the boom up in place of a topping lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.