Hunter 30T Windlass install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2010
Hunter 30T Solent, England
Hi,

Over the last year I have tried to find details of previous electric windlass installations on a Hunter 30T. Unfortunately without much luck. So over this winter I set about designing and biulding our own installation here in the UK.
The boat does provide some challenging problems with an offset bow roller and shallow anchor locker.

I know other 30T owners have thought about fitting a windlass so I have posted details of the solution I implemented.

The windlass is a South Paciifc PRO VS1000 (vertical) This is mounted to a bespoke glassed platform that is through bolted within the rear of the anchor locker using 5mm 316 stainless steel brackets (see pics) This design keeps everthing within the locker so there is no potential for water penetrating the forecabin with any through deck installtion, not to mention a windlass protruding inside!

The locker lid has a suitable cut-out to allow the windlass to protrude through the lid when closed. A stainless steel guard plate has been fitted to protect the deck in the area where the chain runs and exits the bow roller.

The windlass is operated with the locker lid raised and controlled by a remote handheld switch that is wired within the forward berth and brought out via the forehatch when required. Because of the shallow design of the 30T anchor locker the chain does need to be swept forward (with wooden handle) as the chain is being recovered. Otherwise it will pyramid under the windlass and stall. In practise this is very easy to do and doesn't presend a problem. Once the anchor is recovered the lid can be simply closed over the chain. (for reference the locker can hold 50m of 8mm chain without a problem)

I hope this helps in giving other owners some ideas. The Hunter 30T anchor arrangement does provide some unique problems with a windlass install, but it is possible with some effort and bespoke designs.

Happy sailing.
Shaun.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Nice job. I would suggest adding a deck installed foot operated control switch to simplify operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.