Hunter 30T Engine cover/housing/box repair?

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 Port Charlotte, Florida
My 30T has had a leak from the hatch which has caused the top of the engine housing "box or cover" (the bit with the cutlery drawer) to sag away from the plywood wall of the head compartment.

Anyone ever replaced this? I can't see how to even get at what holds it all down.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Screws lots of screws all over the place hold it all down and together. I redesigned mine to make easyer to get out for motor service I have 6 screw now instead of 50 take it apart and dry out then glue it all back together ( the laminate top) then add 1" x 1" teak to bath wall or 1" stainless angle for top to sit level on right now all your weight is held by screws thru wall behind that trim in bath . doesn't work because that top is partical board and fails from the water and weight. You will enjoy the up grade for motor service or save on mechanic hours by removing box before work starts to speed things up

Jun 9, 2004
Wow! Some help - thanks!
Where did you start? Did you remove the laminate top first? Were there vertical screws going down under that?
Did you preserve the laminate top?

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Yea preserved all of it but if your top too rotten to hold glue to laminate then replace with plywood. screws all over but unit comes out 1 piece. Start by removing aft cushions put them up front then remove ladder top 2 screws in bulkhead take out front ladder there's a screw left bottom into floor. I just kept taking screws out and shaking box till came out. And I didn't find all the screws some broke out at back of box they must have been screwed in before back floor when in.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Depending on your time now is good time to take up rear flooring and replace mechanical systems back there my exhaust hose was rotten and peeking exhaust water and the elect wiring was a mess back there

Jun 9, 2004
Ah sorry - before my cup of coffee! "unit comes out in one piece"
I'm going to have a good look with that in mind. I had always thought I'd have to take the top off.
Doh.
I'm sure I'll have a few more question but you've encouraged me no end.
Thanks