Hunter 306 vertical play on Rudder Stock.......how to fix?

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
Hi All,

When replacing the steering column we took the opportunity to drop the rudder for inspection. The boat yard replaced the steering column and installed the rudder.

A couple of weeks after she was back in the water we noticed vertical play (roughly 1") on the rudder stock. The replacement of the lewmar steering column did include a new quadrant. We never checked if the old quadrant was the same height as the new one, we've since thrown the old one out.

We can lift the rudder up, holding the quadrant, about 1", there is no horizontal play when we do this. When the rudder rests on the quadrant there is horizontal play. The rudder stock is conical so that would explain the horizontal play. I have a video which is to large to include in the forum. The two files show the rudder details and the process that was followed to reinstall the rudder.

I don't remember any shims being installed when we removed the quadrant and dropped the rudder.

My guess is that shims are needed to hold the rudder stock in it's correct place or that the quadrant is not the same height causing the vertical play.

Anyone ever seen this before and know of a solution?

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My first guess is....

Your Steering Quadrant.

The Quadrant holds your Rudder on the boat.

If you look close on the diagram 1, the elevation or height of Quadrant must be the same height of the Steering arm.

We never checked if the old quadrant was the same height as the new one
:plus:

Jim...

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
Certainly sounds like the new quadrant sits lower than the old so the rudder and rudder stock are lower than they should be. If it helps at all, here's how my 306 quadrant looked last spring. I don't see any shims in mine, but I'd certainly entertain the idea of squeezing in some sort of split shaft bearing or something in there. I'd be interested in seeing your video. Any chance you could link to it in youtube?

IMG-2997.jpgIMG-2995.jpgIMG-2994.jpg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My quadrant and steering is very different. But if want a picture
Quad HT.jpeg

You need a new Quadrant, if the heights do not match.

I do not know of shims for a rudder.
Jim...

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
Certainly sounds like the new quadrant sits lower than the old so the rudder and rudder stock are lower than they should be. If it helps at all, here's how my 306 quadrant looked last spring. I don't see any shims in mine, but I'd certainly entertain the idea of squeezing in some sort of split shaft bearing or something in there. I'd be interested in seeing your video. Any chance you could link to it in youtube?

View attachment 214834View attachment 214835View attachment 214836
J thanks for the picture which shows the correct placement of the lever. I don't remember seeing shims on top or bottom on mine either. Got info from Lewmar regarding the lever placement. Going to try and reach out to Marlow Yachts for info on the rudder stock. We are hauling her out in the coming weeks to have a better look at the situation. Will keep you all posted.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jim is correct about New Rudders formerly Foss Foam located in Florida. They built all the rudders and swing centerboards and still have the molds. Contact is Bob Walker
Whom I trusted as a dealer

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
Hi all, quick update. I place a shim on the top after finding a "before" picture a mate of mine made right after we dropped the rudder showing a shim that was placed under the lever arm.
I now have the rudder in place but have some play, about 1/8" or less", horizontal. Questions are:
  1. is this a normal amount of play?
  2. where can one order a bearing?
  3. where can i get the size of the bearing to have one made?
I've reached out to the team at new rudder also, hope they can help.

Saludos,

Capt Brinky.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
We found out that the lower UHMW bearing is not in place (i.e. not there) only the upper. I found the Hunter drawings for the lower and upper UHMW and SS bearings so I can have both UHMW bearings made.

I expect that the play will go away once I have the lower UHMW bearing in place. Would one recommend changing the SS bearings on the rudder stock also? We looked at the ones installed which both look fine.

Frans

Attachments

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
Hi All, just a quick update. We made a new upper bearing using the drawings provided, the old bearing and measuring the top of the rudder stock. We noticed that the top was also worn a bit and not uniform so by using it's measurement we created a beautiful snug fitting bearing.

The rudder, with a new top bearing and shim on top, is nice and firm and moves great. Ready for some sailing.

Thanks all for the support.

Frans

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
Kappykaplan, not of the new one but here are two of the old one which is the same. They first picture shows the groove they machined in also, it has one on each side. The inside diameter is to the exact measurement of the top rudder stock sleeve.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Helpful
Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
Hi we have a simmilar play issue in a H290...where did you get the instructions and photos of the installation you included in your post?
thks
Colin

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
what I was looking for was the site where those instructions and diagrams are located. The manual on the 290 is very limited for DIY maintenance etc. Thanks for your help
Colin