Hunter 306- can I add refrigeration?

Mar 20, 2021
Hunter 326 Baltimore
Hi- making an offer on a 2002 306 that has just an ice box. Is it possible/ practical to convert that to a refrigerator?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am not famIliar with that boat, but many boats with ice boxes have been converted to refrigeration. The kits today are pre-charged and do not require a refrigeration guy to charge it.

Biggest issues are locating space for the compressor, being able to run the coolant lines to the evaporator plate, getting access to the box to add the evaporator plate, and getting power to the unit.

Lots of videos on YouTube showing the process.

My compressor is located in my lazzarette, and coolant lines run across the boat to the fridge. Not ideal, but it works and I always have cold beer. I didn’t install it, and if I were to do it over again, I would try to run the coolant lines differently as they pass through my engine bilge and take up space around my stuffing box, exhaust muffler, etc.

IMG_1122.JPG

But to answer your basic question, yes, you can add refrigeration.

Greg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Peter, it's possible but...
In addition to the compressor location problem, you need to be able to insulate the box you want to cool. Typically there is nothing but 1/4 in. fiberglass between the cold air and the outside air.
I tried to insulate my ice box several times and never got anything like an R 20 value.
Good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Peter, it's possible but...
In addition to the compressor location problem, you need to be able to insulate the box you want to cool. Typically there is nothing but 1/4 in. fiberglass between the cold air and the outside air.
I tried to insulate my ice box several times and never got anything like an R 20 value.
Good luck.
I guess I assumed an icebox was insulated...but maybe not very well.

Greg

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Hi Peter,

I'm not familiar with your model, but I'm guessing the icebox probably has the same insulation whether or not you have the refrigeration option. I'm sure the fine folks that run this site could answer that for sure.

The rest of it shouldn't be too bad. Refer to page 64G-2 of your owners manual, Hunter supplied a diagram of how it was installed. Looks like the compressor goes just forward of the galley underneath the seat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In addition to getting "power" just to it, you have to have adequate battery capacity to run it fdepending on how you use your boat. If you're a marina hopper and plug in all the time is completely different than if you like to anchor out for days on end. Good luck, nice add. A friend of mine with an '87 added a fridge just last year, but insulated the heck out of it. If you do that you can get by with 40 ah per day, the usual is 60.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Peter, as others have mentioned, before making the conversion, make sure your ice box has adequate insulation. Otherwise, the compressor will run more that necessary to keep the box temperature to your setting. That run time places a heavy burden on your battery power system, so the object is to keep the cold inside the box and the heat outside as much as possible.

A different model boat here, but ours has about four inches of foam insulation around the outside of the box including the box lid. During the warmer months of the year it will cycle to keep the temp setting. If much heat is allowed to enter the box through poorly insulated box walls, the compressor will run continuously thus draining your house bank amps.

I purchased a replacement system for our refrigerator a few years ago (the original one died of old age) from Defender. It came with a box evaporator that works great for freezing foods as well as keeping the rest of the box cold. Easy to install, already charged with refrigerant, pretty much plug and play. Wrote an article about the install here. Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Go to help and ask those questions as you will be talking with former Hunter employees. Although I introduced the boat years ago, I cannot remember if insulation was thick enough. Can you take some photos and measurements

Mar 20, 2021
Hunter 326 Baltimore
Go to help and ask those questions as you will be talking with former Hunter employees. Although I introduced the boat years ago, I cannot remember if insulation was thick enough. Can you take some photos and measurements
Thanks to all for your input! Dave I am new to this forum; how exactly do I access the "help" you mention?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks to all for your input! Dave I am new to this forum; how exactly do I access the "help" you mention?
Peter, if you are reading this, look to your left and you will see the 'Help' tab that Dave refers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Or send a Private Message to @Dave Groshong. He works with the SBO team and can get you in contact or answer some of your specific questions about product and services offered.

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Hunter 306 571 Westernport Vic
Very late to this thread so my info is most likely redundant, but in case not, our 306 has a Waeco Coolmatic 134a agent air-cooled refrigeration system fitted with the compressor sitting happily in the port locker just ahead of the ice box. The manual mentions it as an optional standard fitting so I'd assume the ice box insulation is ready for it. Ours works just fine.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
Even later and new to the forum and I don't have a large boat. I do know a little about refrigeration however.
If ice and deep freezing are not a priorities, thermoelectric cooling can be a possibility. There are many ready-made appliances available that work on 12V.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We bought Bella with a faulty refrigeration unit. So for a couple years we just loaded it with ice. It turned out that for very little money we got the unit running again. Not having to haul ice and coming out to the boat with cold beer already onboard was a game changer! I hope you can upgrade to refrigeration. You'll never go back! My Hunter started as an icebox too.