Hunter 30. Swimming platform locker

Jul 26, 2020
Hunter Legend 30 Poole Dorset UK
I am the new owner of a Hunter 30 (1993) based on the UK South Coast. Anyone experienced fresh water entering the swimming platform lockers. The lids looks as If they should deflect rainwater, anyone have experience of this?

Should have said my boat is an American Hunter exported to the Uk

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Sorry, I can't help as I've never seen such a 'new' boat up close!

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Rain water should not get in the transom lockers as it has raise lip and overhang lid/cover. It is not water tight so any back wash high enough will send some sea water into the lockers.

Ken Y

Jul 26, 2020
Rain water should not get in the transom lockers as it has raise lip and overhang lid/cover. It is not water tight so any back wash high enough will send some sea water into the lockers.

Ken Y
I have just returned from baling out the locker, I am wondering wether the water is entering via the bathing steps attachment bolts.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Do you sail in saltwater taste water to figure out where come from. I store kids rafts in there so I occasionally get water out and sand I use a wet vac

Attachments

Jul 26, 2020
Do you sail in saltwater taste water to figure out where come from. I store kids rafts in there so I occasionally get water out and sand I use a wet vac
Definitely fresh water , waiting for next rainfall and will test my theory of rainwater getting in via ladder brackets

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
We’ve owned our 1992 Hunter 30T for 22 years and I don’t recall ever getting water in the stern lockers. You may be on to something with the ladder bolts and plates leaking thru.
If that’s the case it’s an easy fix to re-bed them in 3M 5200 caulking.

• Helpful
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I have just returned from baling out the locker, I am wondering wether the water is entering via the bathing steps attachment bolts.
Yes it is also possible for water to enter via the swim ladder brackets mounting bolts. Possible your boat virus infected my boat? ;)
I think mine starting to leak there. Found it wet on underside where bolt is. :facepalm:

Ken Y

Jul 26, 2020
Yes it is also possible for water to enter via the swim ladder brackets mounting bolts. Possible your boat virus infected my boat? ;)
I think mine starting to leak there. Found it wet on underside where bolt is. :facepalm:

Ken Y
Have removed swim ladder and resealed with butyl. Rainwater ingress still the same. Am I missing something here.

Last edited:

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
I occasionally get small amounts of water in there I suspect mine comes from after heavy windy rain storms blowing it up under the lids