Hunter 30 Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott

Hello I have a 1977 Hunter 30. Mast appears to have sunk into the deck approx 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I was wondering if this mast is keel or deck steped ?. There is a corroded steel I-Beam attached to the keel under the teak surround extending below the mast, on top of the I-Beam is a rotten piece of 1/2" wood that is obviously compressed from the rot. I would like to disassemble this teak structure to see what is causing the problem (or is the rotted piece of wood on top of the I-Beam causing the problem). Any answers / suggestions greatly appreaciated. Thanks SCA

J

John N

Similar to H34?

While I'm not familiar with the H30, you might be interested in the "H34 Compression Post Repair" article under the "Foto Forum" portion of this website. Not to mislead you... it may not be pertinent to your problem, but good research material.

K

Karl Berntson

I have the same problem

Scott, Also being a proud owner of '77 H30, my stays and shrouds have been getting looser through the season. I plan on doing some work on the I-beam this winter. It is corroded, but not to the point where it needs replacing. The fiberglass is molded to the web of the beem is loose, so I'm going to cut that back and glass some new stuff on there. I plan on scraping and sanding the I-beam and then spray it with re-constitution solution, so that whatever rust I don't get off will not continue corroding. The only place I have found this stuff is IPD out of Portland, OR. It is an outfit selling Volvo aftermarket equipment. They are on-line, including their catalog. I'm trying to figure out how to raise the mast an inch or so to get access and be able to replace the plywood piece. Do you have any suggestions? Please let me know your progress. My direct e-mail is: k_eberntson@yahoo.com Regards. Karl

S

Scott

Same Construction

I sent an email to Hunter and they say the boat is constructed the same as the H34 in the Foto section. The Hunter tech rep also said that on the 30 the problem is usually caused by the I-Beam and not a rotted compression post. I am currently trying to determine if I can fix this without removing the mast. Thanks SCA

K

Karl Berntson

Same?

It appeas to me that the 34 has a deck stepped mast. The mast on the 30 is supported by the I-beam on top of the keel. I think Hunter's customer support people need to take another look at this. Regards Karl

R

Royce Hallock

h30 compression post

Scott, I have a 76 h30 in which I had the same problem. I changed the design of the compression post to that of the newer Hunters. I ran this idea past Jim and he said that that's how they do it now soo I proceeded. You'll have to drop the mast. It's not as hard as it seems. email me if you need help there. I then removed the 4"x6" wood compression post that is covered with teak from the bulk head. Then I removed the 3/4" plywood cover over the I-beam, and used a hacksaw to cut the fiberglass covering the I-beam. This left a inward turned flange about 1/2" over the edge of the I-beam. I was then able to use a hammer and drive out the I-beam, as the base of it is wedge shaped to fit the bildge. I replace the I-beam with a SS 1/4" plate made in the shape of the bottom of the I-beam and drove it back into the place where the I-beam sat. I drilled and tapped a bolt hole in the forward part to secure a strap to the forward keel bolt to prevent the plate from working back. I replaced the compression post with a 2" sch 80 SS 304 pipe with a 1/4" SS plate welded on one end. I drilled a hole in the cabin top to pass this post thru to the plate in the bildge which had a stud welded on it to fit inside the pipe. I then sealed the top plate to the cabin top and thru bolted it to the cabin top with 3/8" bolts and good sized backing plates. I hope this helps you, it'll completely unload the cabin top from any compression load. Email me if you want more information.

D

doug washburn

hunter30 mast compression question

is this mast compression problem basically the same one experience on the 31's in the late 80's?

Status
Not open for further replies.