Hunter 30 deck paint / Rustloeum Topside Paint

Jan 4, 2020
Hunter HC 30 Washington, NC
This is the third deck I have painted with this product, Rustoleum brand Topside paint available at Lowes. about $17 per quart. Took us 4 quarts, a handful of paint brushes and about 10 hours over two days with two people. I was surprised the first time I used this product and still impressed with it as a very economical way to get a decent finish on an old boat.

20200204_131211.jpg
20200204_131118.jpg
20200204_131144.jpg

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Nice. And I thought its pretty good paint too. you must have done all prep steps as it is cut in really nice nice straight lines

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Beautiful job. Tell me how you applied your anti-skid? It looks pretty thick and well applied.

Jan 4, 2020
First we cleaned the deck really well, a couple times. All the nooks and crannies. Then we did some sanding. The edges of the toe rail, any rough spots. There were maybe a couple dozen nicks in the gel coat that I filled and sanded. Removed all of the snaps and screws for the dodger and enclosure. We will only use the bimini, the rest had a couple bad zippers, the clear parts weren't clear and I really did not like all the little twist locks mounted around the edge of the cock pit. They looked like bare foot / flip flop toe catchers to me anyway.... so they all came off and holes filled and sanded. The old SR Mariner depth and knot gauges came off and left 4" holes to be patched and fared. Then more cleaning. Then some fine sanding and a final cleaning / degreasing with Simple Green cleaner. We actually did not add anything to the non - skid. Then we taped up the toe rail, hatches, ports, companion way and a few pieces of hardware. We had already taken most of the cleats, winches, etc. off. Then we dry clothed the whole thing to get any grit or crevices missed. Then we painted, trying to be careful and wipe up any outdoor type dander that blew in. We had to quit halfway through the first day because of a swarm of gnats.

But very pleased with how it turned out. The last boat I did this with, I did not prep as well, and it still held up very nicely. I will keep a bit of paint on board for any touch up that comes along.

Highly recommend this if you don't want to spend a lot of dough on a pro spray job. Take your time, clean it well and prep it and paint it.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Damn! I was hoping to hire you to do the not-nonskid deck parts on mine. You know, I'll trade a Florida vacation, all expenses paid for a repaint sorta thing!

Jan 4, 2020
Damn! I was hoping to hire you to do the not-nonskid deck parts on mine. You know, I'll trade a Florida vacation, all expenses paid for a repaint sorta thing!
I have a pretty girlfriend that does most of the work.... she says we can talk.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Send me a PM! Were on an island, near the beach. Free boat tour included!

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Very Nice job. The surface looks a bit glossy in some of the photos. How good is the anti-skid factor on these surfaces?

Jan 4, 2020
Very Nice job. The surface looks a bit glossy in some of the photos. How good is the anti-skid factor on these surfaces?
Not sure yet, we haven't tread on it much. Will be sure to update on that.

kenpa

Mar 25, 2018
catalina 22 Maraine state park
I like your idea of using the paint from Lowes.If need more just go get it. What did you use to patch any holes of deep scratchs? Does it come in more then one white? And did you have to thin the paint?I got a Cat 25 that needs fresh paint.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
did you 'roll and tip' or just use brushes? I've used the Rustoleum Top Sides on boot stripes before and really held up well.

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
Looks great did you add the anti slip additive or just painted over old awl grip? Did you sand down to gelcoat. Is your color the oyster white or sand? My awlgrip looks like crap but not willing to pay more for a gallon of awlgrip than I did the boat. I dont mind sanding down if that's the proper prep I have many man hours I can put toward the boat but not alot of money. This paint seems like a good compromise. Thanks for sharing!

Jan 4, 2020
Looks great did you add the anti slip additive or just painted over old awl grip? Did you sand down to gelcoat. Is your color the oyster white or sand? My awlgrip looks like crap but not willing to pay more for a gallon of awlgrip than I did the boat. I dont mind sanding down if that's the proper prep I have many man hours I can put toward the boat but not alot of money. This paint seems like a good compromise. Thanks for sharing!
You can paint over your textured surfaces. They will maintain some of their texture / grip. Not like new, but no, don't sand it off. Clean, clean, clean the deck. Use a scraper to get in the nooks and crannies. All along the toe rail, get it cleaned out. Remove all the hardware, cleats, anything you don't want to tape and paint around. Its a good time to tear down your winches and inspect / replace pawls and springs, clean and new grease while you have them off. Then clean the deck some more, scraping any loose pant, etc away. Then use a good degreaser. Simple Green or Grease Lightning .... Then tape up everything. Ports, hatches, stantions. Then wipe it all down with a dry cloth, degreasing any spots you may have missed.

Paint it.

Ours is holding up well so far and looks nice.

Last edited: