Hunter 30 Cutless bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Fox

I need to change the cutless bearing on my 1992 Hunter 30 and need advice on the recommended proceedure. The boat is new to me and I want to learn from others experience. Do I need to remove the propeller shaft?? If so do I need to remove the rudder? How do I go about this?? Thanks for the help; Dave

R

Roy Mosteller

Yard Replaced Mine

Replaced cutlass bearing on my 1991 30T at last haulout without removing shaft or rudder. I had the yard do it as they have the specialized tools and experience so it was relatively inexpensive. If you haul in a professional boat yard recommend you have them do it to save yourself problems and grief.

M

Mark Slifko

Cutlass bearing

Take a look at how the strut is bolted to the hull. It is bolted to thr bottom. Look at where the bolts go thru the backing plate. How hard is it to remove the nuts. In my 27' its not too difficult. Once the strut is unbolted, it should not be very hard to remove. Next, remove prop, and slide strut off. How close is the rudder to the end of the shaft (in may 27' need to turn rudder to give enough clearence to remove strut). Now the strut is off, press bearing out and new bearing in. It you want, a local machine shop can quickly and easily accomplish this with a press. If this sounds like too much fun, do as I will do and let the yard do the job at their leisure over the winter. Good Luck, Mark "Almost Paradise"

B

Brian Foster

Cutless-Bearing Replacement

You might want to check out the April 1999 issue of Sail. There's an article on bearing replacement on p.38. Might be of general help.

D

Dan Geltmacher

haven't done it yet but,

Dave, I will undertake this job next week. Check the archives. I posted the same question 3 weeks ago an got some (I hope) solid advice. I'll post my results, I plan on doing it myself. Dan S/V ILLUSIONS

T

terry dornan

shaft

if you have not completed the work yet _ check the shaft while you are at it mine was bent (slightly from wear). replaced with stainless steel and went the next step to a positive shaft seal

Status
Not open for further replies.