Hunter 290 or 306 in Bahamas

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
Hello.
I’m wondering if there are any Hunter 209 or 306 owners out there that could give some real world reviews of their boat?

In particular, does the lack of a true back stay and not being able to fully extend the boom/main impact how well you feel the boat performs?

Also, any thoughts or experiences on how one performs as a Keys/Bahamas cruiser?

BTW, I think they are a beautiful, well laid out boat, I just hav not been able to find a lot of comments from owners on them.

Thanks

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hello.
I’m wondering if there are any Hunter 209 or 306 owners out there that could give some real world reviews of their boat?

In particular, does the lack of a true back stay and not being able to fully extend the boom/main impact how well you feel the boat performs?

Also, any thoughts or experiences on how one performs as a Keys/Bahamas cruiser?

BTW, I think they are a beautiful, well laid out boat, I just hav not been able to find a lot of comments from owners on them.

Thanks
If you have not already done so, take a look on this site for Owner Reviews.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had a Hunter 280, with the B&R rig (no back stay).

It was my first boat, so I was learning a lot, but she was capable and the lack of a backstay didnt really affect my sailing.

True, sailing DDW is not easy with the swept back spreaders, but all I had to do was sail just off DDW and it was fine.

The benefits of not having a back stay in the way is great and the B&R rig has proven itself…seems a bit odd not to have a backstay, but you don’t hear about B&R rigs crashing to the deck.

Lots of big Hunters have the B&R rig.

I had a lot of fun learning to sail on my H280!

IMG_0208_Original.jpeg

Greg

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
If you have not already done so, take a look on this site for Owner Reviews.
Thanks for that tip. Even after you told me that section existed on the forum, it was easier finding with a Google search than using the forum menu lol.

Nice to see very positive reviews from owners.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Hello.

Thanks
Hi Cliff. I've had a 306 since 2005 or so, bought new. A few comments:

Lack of a back-stay: never had any problems with the mast or B&R rig. I'll admit that I do feel a bit envious when I see older boats with the spreaders at 180 degrees (instead of angled back like the B&R), in that they can let the main out more than I can. In reality, I do sail much steeper ddw angles than are probably wise, and my sail and battens are frequently against the stays, but I guess no harm has ever come from it. If I had the choice, I'd probably choose a boat with a split backstay, but... everything's a compromise. I think this one isn't a big deal.

The arch: this is the best feature of the boat! If you have a bimini attached (and I couldn't possibly be without one in the Chesapeake: keeps the sun off and makes the heat tolerable), it's a perfect roof over your head, and it keeps the boom from being a danger to the crew. It gives you something sturdy to hold onto. It doesn't read you bedtime stories, but other than that, it's the perfect cockpit companion.

Mast/sail: it seems (to me) to be about 50/50 as to how many 306's have a furling main vs. traditional. We have a traditional slab-reefed main, and I think it works well. If I had a bigger boat, I'd probably opt for roller furling main for ease of single handing, but I take the boat out solo 80% of the time and the slab reefing main is fine.

Air conditioning: I don't have it, but kind of wish I did for dock-side, given our climate. Many 306's have it. I've actually thought seriously about having it added, as this would be far cheaper than buying a bigger boat, and the manual has full plans for how it should be run internally.

Refrigeration: we didn't have it until last year, when I put in an air-cooled drawer fridge in place of the microwave (search the archives). Very happy with the new fridge, and prefer it to a water-cooled one.

Anchoring: we don't have a windlass, but it's really not necessary in the Chesapeake. I haul the anchor in when I'm solo, and as long as you're patient, it's reasonable to do. I'm 62 and in good shape, but it's certainly possible to imagine high enough wind that I'd have to wait it out for a day or so if I were by myself. It's just never happened to me.

Overall quality: on the whole, I don't think I have much to complain about. The worst thing I have to deal with is fresh water (rain/deck) leaks, which seem to be quite hard to track down, and also seemingly random in their manifestation. In other words, both false and true bilges will be dry for 5 rains and then get wet on the 6th, and I have no idea why. But it's a boat, and I haven't owned 20 of them: only a Hunter 23 for 4 years and this one for 18 or so. It's a Hunter, so pretty much a Chevy in the car-boat comparison spectrum, but I think the quality has given me no reason to complain.

It's not clear whether I'll ever buy another boat, but if I do, it would be for more internal space, a separate shower, or... because I won the lottery. The 306 is clearly not a blue water / offshore boat, but you knew that. If you were in Ft. Lauderdale, it would probably be fine to go across to the Bahamas, but this is just me extrapolating from what I've read: I've only sailed in the Chesapeake.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I can't speak specifically to the boats in question, I can speak to sailing in the Bahamas.

Draft is important. 5' or less is best, the deeper the draft the more you have to pay attention to tides and charts.

Tankage is important. A smaller boat will have less fuel and water tankage which means more trips to marinas. Expect to pay a premium for diesel and to pay for water. We had to buy diesel in the Abacos in May 2022 at the height of the oil price spike, it was over $8 a gallon. Water will run up to 50 cents a gallon or more.

Storage for food, spare parts, and adult beverages will be limited in a smaller boat. Liquor and beer are available, liquor is modesty priced, mixers are expensive, and beer will run $60 to $90 a case.

As for the B&R rig and downwind sailing, dead down wind is not always the fastest and it is difficult especially if any sea is running. Broad reaching and jibing is just as fast or faster and a lot less stressful for the helms person or auto pilot.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had a B&R rig on a H26. It is true that on a run you have less swing to put your main out… but lack of a back stay allows for a longer foot and thus the benefits of a bigger main on all other points of sail.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
IMO the boats a little small for the Bahamas. For reason previously stated and its a little small for the crossing. It will take longer and it can't handle the seas if they get a little rough. Sure it can do it but it won't be very comfortable.
I would not sail the coastal waters in florida with anything less than a 37'.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
I've only been sailing a couple of years and the 306 is my first bigger boat. I'd say these boats were designed primarily as cruisers and are pretty easy to sail. My boat has an in-mast furling mainsail and I singlehand mine pretty regularly and don't hesitate to head out alone. It's been a great boat for me so far.

But as I mentioned, the design is directed first to cruising. I mostly daysail with the occasional overnighter on anchor as well as occasional lighthearted club racing and am pretty happy with the boat. But if you are especially interested in racing/performance then you might be more interested in other options. It's not a racer. I haven't felt too disadvantaged by the B&R rig, and appreciate the benefits of not having a backstay (open transom/swim step). It's a fun boat.

I've never cruised the Bahamas or the Keys, so I'm not really qualified to comment on suitability. But just for reference, I would note the 3'10" draft of the shoal keel, 40 gal. water, 20 gal. diesel, and 20 gal. holding tank. The chain locker has a pre-molded platform for a windlass, but I don't have one and just pull up my lightweight Danforth by hand. Also, the current stock power configuration includes two group 24 lead batteries with a stock alternator. No solar, no wind, and no generator. It's a bit anemic. If I were going to do anything beyond an overnight, I'd need to beef up those options. (Side note: I've been seeing recent options for 100 Ah LiFePO4 "mini" batteries that are looking real good.)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
(Side note: I've been seeing recent options for 100 Ah LiFePO4 "mini" batteries that are looking real good.)
Your point about power is a good one. 2 Group 24 batteries will be inadequate for most and especially if there is refrigeration.

Do your research about LFP batteries. Many are advertised as "drop-in" they are "drop-in" for size only. LFPs have very specific charging and fusing requirements, if these are followed, they are great batteries. If not you'll be buying a new alternator in short order or worse.

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
Thank you everyone for the responses. It sounds like a great boat. I’ll be keeping an eye out for one at our club so I can get a first hand look.