Hunter 29.5 Emptying Holding Tank

Elie

Dec 15, 2015
Hunter 29.5 Marina Del Rey
Hi Guys,
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I'm trying to figure out how to empty the holding tank in my 29.5

I know there is a valve in the starboard swim step ladder, and I think that's for the holding tank. Is it as simple as opening that valve when I'm out at sea? Or do I need to do anything in the head as well? Also, where is the holding tank??

Thanks in advance!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The answer to the one you've just asked is...

It's highly unlikely a valve in a swim step ladder would be the overboard discharge for the holding tank. That would not be a valve that's opened from the outside of the boat....and opening it without knowing it's purpose could sink your boat! So find the holding tank and trace the plumbing from the toilet to the tank and from the tank to the deck pumpout fitting and any overboard discharge pump and through hull. Then ask an experienced dockmate to show you how to use them. You also need to learn how to maintain your sanitation system--ALL the systems on your boat--to prevent problems so you don't have to fix them, 'cuz prevention is always easier and cheaper than cure.

In fact, you really need to spend a day finding everything on your boat and familiarizing yourself with how it works...the plumbing and/or wiring connected to it. That especially includes holes in the hull above and below the waterline and what's at the other end of hoses connected to them, and all your electrical equipment. Read the owners manuals (if you don't have 'em, get 'em)...ask more experienced dockmates... post questions here. Everyone was a newbie once...we'll be glad to help you.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Ellie, If your 29.5 is plumbed like mine the hose for the head goes directly to the top of the tank running under the rear berth. The tank is located behind the center wall panel stern end of the rear berth. In the starboard side lazerette on the stern there is a valve for manually pumping overboard. I have mine closed and the handle removed. there is a manual pump located in the lazerette with the batteries for manual pump out overboard. At a pump out station there is a waste pump out access just above the starboard lazerette on the stern.

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 33.5 North Vancouver
Check out the Boat Information section. It has the full owners manuals which has the through hull fitting location.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Waste pump out is on the starboard side of the scoop across from the diesel fill on the port. As Dave said should be a manual pump in the starboard lazerette with the sea cock in the aft starboard storage compartment..

Jan 6, 2020
Hunter 29.5 Sandwich MA
Great information. I just purchased a 29.5 and have sewage odor. I also purchased The Headmistress wonderful book. My question is, is the tank on the 1994 29.5 plastic or steel? Also, is it difficult to replace the hoses from the head to the tank (knowing the odor permeates from the hoses).

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Great information. I just purchased a 29.5 and have sewage odor. I also purchased The Headmistress wonderful book. My question is, is the tank on the 1994 29.5 plastic or steel? Also, is it difficult to replace the hoses from the head to the tank (knowing the odor permeates from the hoses).
The “plastic” tank is hiding under your battery compartment on the Starboard aft you can get to it from the rear bunk by removing the center “bulkhead” you can replace the Hoses relatively easily. I enlarged a couple of the pass thru holes in the stringers by just aft of the head compartment, this made pulling the hose thru easier and the turns are not is as tight. You will have to hang upsidedown in the battery locker and then work blind in the storage compartment in the bunk area. If you take the door and frame off of the compartment in the bunk area it will give you extra wiggle room to work and you won’t mess up the door.
Two things to do first to help yourself with the smell. Replace the Joker valve (duck bill check valve) and clean your bilges. You will need a hose and a tube brush and detergent flush out every stringer and opening - you will be amazed at how much ”stuff” you’ll flush out.
As the headmistress will tell you - don’t go cheap on the hose, it matters

Jan 6, 2020
Hunter 29.5 Sandwich MA
Hi Twille,

Thanks for all of your information. I removed the hose from the head to the tank, removed the head and removed the discharge hose from the bottom of tank to the y valve. Purchased Raitan Hoses and new head. I stopped at the vent hose. Besides being overcome by 4 hours of undescrible smell from the from the frozen tank! I noticed the vent hose at the tank is "manageable to remove". However, the exterior vent that I would like to replace is behind a panel that contains fuel gage, electrical and battery wiring. Any suggestions on how to access it? Or did you somehow remove the screen in the vent and check for blockage?

Thanks again for your help.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Waste pump out is on the starboard side of the scoop across from the diesel fill on the port. As Dave said should be a manual pump in the starboard lazerette with the sea cock in the aft starboard storage compartment..
My 30T is like this. :plus:

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Hi Twille,

Thanks for all of your information. I removed the hose from the head to the tank, removed the head and removed the discharge hose from the bottom of tank to the y valve. Purchased Raitan Hoses and new head. I stopped at the vent hose. Besides being overcome by 4 hours of undescrible smell from the from the frozen tank! I noticed the vent hose at the tank is "manageable to remove". However, the exterior vent that I would like to replace is behind a panel that contains fuel gage, electrical and battery wiring. Any suggestions on how to access it? Or did you somehow remove the screen in the vent and check for blockage?

Thanks again for your help.
I took the batteries out - removed anything i could and folded my bad self up, hung up side down and cleaned the old vent out with a metal coat hanger. You can reach the backing nut on the vent and a friend can turn the vent from the outside to unscrew it— as long as they didn’t use 5200 as bedding compound on yours........ whatever is available close by was the theory.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Get rid of that vent fitting and get a mushroom thru-hull. Better yet, increase the size of the venting hose, too.