Hunter 285 Boom Rigging

Jan 3, 2016
Hunter 285 Lake Norman
I'm replacing every bit of running rig on my 1985 285. Now, the very last of the project is the boom rigging. I've got the two aft boom blocks rigged for the two reefs in the mainsail. However, I'm scratching me head a little on how to rig the topping lift. I prematurely yanked all the lines that ran inside the boom before noting how the topping lift was rigged.

There' a block mounted INTERNALLY in the boom about 8-10" from the gooseneck end of the boom. My topping lift CABLE is fixed at the mast head, where it attaches by shackle to an eye splice in the rope (about 18" above the aft of the boom) for the topping lift. I can't figure out what the benefit is of the block mounted INSIDE the forward end of the boom.

I don't want to have to do this again. Appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Steve

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
On my 1986 model boat, with Kenyon boom, the two internal blocks at the forward end of the boom controlled the outhaul and reefing line, respectively. Perhaps like your boat, my topping lift was secured at the mast head, came down to a cheek/turning block on the boom, and then terminated at a horn cleat on the side of the boom.

Oct 9, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Annapolis
My outhaul line snapped inside the boom so I am trying to replace it. Its connect to the clew via a metal line and inside the boom I found this. I don't think they were using it correctly. So now im trying to figure out how I should rig it. and advice? After getting the birds nest out I pulled the line through and found this attached.

Attachments