Hunter 280 Window Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor280

May 9, 2011
Hunter 280 Atwood Lake
I have a 1996 Hunter 280 with a leaking front hatch and a leaking front right window. For the hatch I am going to clean and run a line of Silicone around the edge that meets the deck to try to fix the leak. The front right molded window is actually bowed away from the cabin for a 8 inch area on the top of the window. The previous owner filled the space with Silicone but it is still leaking. Any idea on what type of silicone to use and how to go about cleaning and refilling the the space? It looks like the original silicone is black? I think most hunters close to this year have similar windows. There are no screws in the window holding it in.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would suggest that you remove the front hatch (assuming that has a frame) and rebed it properly with either good caulk like Life Caulk or butyl sold by MaineSail on this website.

I am assuming that you are speaking about the fixed plexiglass/acrylic windows. The best fix for these is to completely remove them and clean out all of the old caulking. The original stuff was DOW 795. You are not going to find it in your local boat shop, but it is available at commerical supply houses (look in the DOW site for suppliers).

The fixed windows usually have holes where screws were used to secure the acrylic while it cured. You can recaulk the window and secure it with those existing screw holes. Once the material is cured, you can remove the screws and fill the holes with the DOW 795. I think the color you are actually looking for is a charcole (not sure). It runs about $8 for a tube.

Be sure to mask off the entire area before you rebed. This stuff can get away from you if you are not careful. I uses a little spatula to smooth it down. You can normally remove the masking tape the next day once it starts to setup.

Best of luck.

Cor280

May 9, 2011
Hunter 280 Atwood Lake
Do those Hatches easily remove? I am wondering if I have a 5 hour project or a 2 hour project. If it just unscrews and lifts out that wouldn't be to bad. Thanks for the advice.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
10 hours for the window, 4 hours for the hatch, give or take 10 hours for normal boat stuff !!

shg

Jun 3, 2004
- - Jersey City
Don't have a reply to post, just another set of questions.
My 2005 33 has a leak in the forward cabin window. The frame is loose on the top, even with tightened screws. Can I just remove the outer frame and add sealant, and if so, what type? Would the window need to be completely removed, since it is only the outer frame that is loose? thanks all.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Don't have a reply to post, just another set of questions.
My 2005 33 has a leak in the forward cabin window. The frame is loose on the top, even with tightened screws. Can I just remove the outer frame and add sealant, and if so, what type? Would the window need to be completely removed, since it is only the outer frame that is loose? thanks all.

My 2005 H33 is also leaking at the starboard fixed window over the chart table. Frame is bowing out a little. I'm contacting Hunter and will let you know.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Just a minor correction. For the 280, there are no fasteners on the P & S fixed windows. Fasteners were used on the "skylight" windows at the front of the cabin. I dread the day when my side windows start to leak as those darn things are ~ 6' long.

Sep 20, 2006
Sent an e-mail to customerservice at huntermarine.com and got an auto reply that Eddie Breeden is out of the office until Monday. 2 hours later, Eddie send me this info on resealing windows on the Hunters.... yet another example of great customer service..... hope this helps.

Attachments

shg

Jun 3, 2004
- - Jersey City
Scott
thanks - I'll look over the pdf you received from Eddie
Steve

Cor280

May 9, 2011
Hunter 280 Atwood Lake
That PDF looks useful. I haven't done this yet but plan to. If anyone else does it first please update us.

Sep 20, 2006
I might even try this weekend if I get the chance. I've taken the screws out on mine but didn't try prying too hard.

Cor280

May 9, 2011
Hunter 280 Atwood Lake
A good clean out of the old Silicone where the side window is bent out and a new clean re-apply to the that section and a little beyond seems to have fixed the side window leak at least for now. I thought about later trying to use a heat gun to bend it back in. I used one to rebuild the Engine control panel plexi glass to get the right bend while on the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.