Hunter 28 steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

I have a 1991 Hunter 28. I have a problem handling my boat in tight quarters because the rudder doesn't seem to 'swing' far enough from side to side. When the wheel is turned as far as it can go the rudder is only about 45 - 50 degrees off center, the stops prevent it from turning any further. Is this normal for this model? Is there an adjustment that I can make to allow the rudder to swing more? I have seen other boats where the rudder can move almmost 90 degrees off center and it seems that mine should do about the same.

S

Steve Dublin

Rudderstop

I may have some complaints about the H28 but handling in tight quarters is not one of them. She turns on a dime. There is and should be a rudderstop. I suggest you unscrew the fiberglass grating behind the pedestal (the one with the access port for the emergency tiller and check that nothing is binding the wires to the radial drive. The steering system is made by Edson (www.edsonintl.com). They are helpful...but not cheap.

M

Michael Conforti

Rudder Travel

I have a 28 and have also noticed the the actual amount of travel is less than 180 degrees. I have had the boat for one complete season and feel that boats handles at about an 8. (scale 1-10) By the way, if you get under the boat you will quickly find out that w/o significant modifications the rudder has no more room to travel, as it is designed to rest against the hull when at its ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.