Hunter 28.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen

I am looking to move up from a smaller Catalina to a 28 foot and am considering a Hunter 1988 28.5. Other than the yacht world reviews can some of you give some feedback on this model and its sail handling (we just cruise...no racing). also would like to know problem areas or what to be on the look out for on this boat. My goal is to get more headroom, an inboard diesel, wheel and a little more room for the Admiral and my 2 young teenagers.

L

Landsend

I have a 1988 28.5 Hunter

I quite enjoy this boat... The size is about right... It sails and motors well... A good boat for the money. Want to know more call me at: 1-386-447-1838 Karl

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Owner Reviews

There are about 53 reviews of this boat on this site. See link. FWIW, I have a 1986 H28.5 and think it's a great boat value: big enough for a small family to cruise; small enough to single hand. So far, pretty easy to maintain. Most importanly, it's a great sailing boat. To me,they seem undervalued in the market place, at least on the east coast. If you get one that has been taken care of, I don't see how you can go wrong as long as you have assessed your own sailing needs correctly.

B

Bob

Great choice

for coastal waters. Sails well, great performance and works well for small family or couple. One thing that I did was to change the head door to hinge open into the main cabin and latched next to the nav table- opened up the head a lot. There is still enough room to use the nav table. Anyway, really love my 28.5.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 33 BLSC
Our boat

is 86' 28.5 and we have been sailing this model for 9 years. Our is a shoal draft and is great for cruising. Easy to single hand when needed, fun for the whole family. Check out this other web site just for the 28.5 sailors.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
28.5 for 20 years!

We got our 28.5 new in 1986 and keep it in great shape, but typically the cast iron keel will ultimately need attention as it creates rust spots thru the finish. The Foss Foam rudder has a tendency to delaminate or absorb water and may need repairs. These are two issues you can easily observe when the boat is haulled. Sailing characteristics and pointing ability are very good for our deep draft version. Look for a well kept boat with equipment upgrades. If no one added a second battery, boom vang, Bimini or more sail controls. they may not have invested the time in normal maintenance either. It shows when you love your boat!

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
13 years and still LOVE it!

Mine is an '88 shoal draqft (4' keel) model. We've been gone as long as 3 weeks (wife and I) on lake Michigan, crossed the lake several times, gotten stuck in some nasty weather and she (the boat) has brought us home safely every time. the iron keel is a bit of a pain, but keep it painted and you'll be fine. I also had my rudder de-laminate. No big deal. A buddy sealed it back up 5 years ago and no problems since. She sails great, is fast, and is VERY easy to solo-sail...I do to all the time. As an old friend says.."you can pay more, but you won;t do any better!" Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.