Hunter 28.5 ... my boat... my future home... my project

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
The last several months have been spent diving into my search for a sailboat I can singlehand and liveaboard.
Hitting many online forums, getting advice from the members, reading books, viewing YouTube videos, accessing other online resources as well as speaking with many sailors in person, I decided on the 1985 Hunter 28.5... the Osprey.
Some folks have cautioned me to leave it off my list because it no longer had the Yanmar, just a Mercury 9.9 OB, and a Thunderstruck 10kW Electric Motor Propulsion conversion kit... yet to be installed.
I'd been to over half-a-dozen marinas, looked at many boats in the water and on the hard, searched online to the south of me... this boat wound up being top of my list.
I purchased her for $6200.00. Other than the motor work to be done, I need to clean up the DC wiring (the PO did put in 2 new RV/MARINE batteries... but the DC system drained them down enough you couldn't even start the OB unless you used the pull-start).
I've removed the V-berth and Quarter-berth cushions... smelly, some mold... I am shopping for new foam, will purchase new fabric and sew new covers.
The cabin sole has a soft spot, so I'll be pulling that out and seeing if I can save it by cleaning up the underside damage and reinforcing it.
I'll be going through the toilet, checking the joker valve and other seals and hoses. I need to replace the manual pump for the tank, located out in the cockpit locker. I will also move the boat over to the pumpout station and see what I can get out of that.
Fortunately, the AC checks out! But while working on the DC, I will look into modernizing the whole system, possibly replacing my switch panel... looking a bit long in the tooth.
Go over all deck/mast lighting to ensure everything meets requirements
I'll remove the interior wall coverings and replace them as well.
Other things to do include...
- Inventory all line for condition, proper size and type.
- Rebed forward hatch and small hatch over saloon
- Dive again on the boat and do a full hull cleaning and zinc inspection (did a cursory dive on it early in my inspection period)
- Start planning on replacing and installing backing plates for deck hardware
- Clean, repair, and/or replace Companionway cover, sail cover, wheel cover....
- Make new docklines
- Purchase and install new VHF radio (old Standard Horizon currently in shop for a checkup)
- Likely to sell old, unused, Raymarine plotter and depth sounder equipment, purchasing more modern equipment in anticipation of coastal sailing in the future
So it's mid-April.... figuring by June it'll be ready to circumnavigate.... the marina! LOL
There's other things like reinstalling the stereo, going through the whole fresh water system, setting up the bar-b-que and having a nice cookout onboard...
As she sits currently.... once I get the mold/smell issue taken care of... I could move onboard!
Planning on a few nights each week, then fulltime later.
I'm just wanting to get the feel for living in/on a sailboat and having lived in confined spaces before in my life, like pickup truck, tents, even a cave... I'm thinking I can handle this as well.
For the initial price, the condition of the boat, what I need to do and want to do in the immediate future... I'm happy with the purchase!
I have people offering help and advice for the boat... for sailing... a friend who really wants to sail on my boat (he has been sailing a long time, currently sails a Coronado 23, and is a member of the Yacht Club)... so I should be able to get some good experience sailing in our bay before venturing over the bar and into the wide open of the coast.
No rush! ....yet... hahaha
Taking sailing classes on Lasers and Coronado 15's.
Planning on buying myself one of those small craft so I can not only sail local lagoons and the bay in them, but take my girlfriend and her daughters out to see if they get the sailing bug as well. I've taken my GF out on Hobie Cats and she did well.
She thinks the Osprey is, "...kinda small!" hahaha
But she's excited at the prospect of sailing around the local waters as well!
My Hunter 285.jpgPortside.PNG

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Gotta say... everyone was spot on about figuring in costs incurred AFTER purchasing a boat!
But then... I mountain bike... and if you're not familiar with that group of people... you buy a $3K (or more) bike that's ready to ride the trials... then go about replacing the fork ($500-$1500), shock ($260-$400), new wheelset (I build my own wheels, but commercial sets can run $300-$2000), swap out that 2x10 or 'shudder' a 3x10 drivetrain for the newer 1x10/11/12 drivetrains ($200-$1400).... a 'little' bit less than owning this boat.... and I'm not earning a dot-commer's kind of income... but I'll make it all work! :)
Thanks to all of you who commented on my earlier postings. While I ignored the advice concerning this electric motor conversion... I did weigh that in as a potential big cost, depending on how the install goes.
I contacted Thunderstruck way back, once I got pics of all the parts the PO had. They sounded pretty enthused about my project and sound willing to offer advice along the way.
What would be nice... is when I'm ready to do the install, get their permission to roll down to Santa Rosa with the motor and parts, go over everything in person with them, maybe do a dry run on the install, then come back home and hook it up!
I will haul the boat out later when the weather is more accommodating, so I can do a dry inspection of everything below the waterline, make sure the prop and propshaft are good to go until next haulout, etc
Hopefully.... I'll be in a financial position to drop the stick and go over that thoroughly, as well as replace all the standing rigging before dropping her back into the bay.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Congrats on the purchase. I've not read all of your other threads. What did you do with the Hunter 33 mentioned under your avatar?

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Congrats on the purchase. I've not read all of your other threads. What did you do with the Hunter 33 mentioned under your avatar?
HAHAHA... thanks for pointing that out... I'll change it!
I think I put that in there because it was one of the boats I was seriously considering... until I went below deck.
Sort of a space filler when signing up.

Jul 11, 2016
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
Congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure you'll love it, or hate it and set it on fire in the middle of the marina. Either way you're sure to have lots of good stories with it.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Love my 28.5 have spent weeks aboard. Just remember you have room for few personal possessions but what the heck. It's like having a cabin on the water, without any grass to mow.

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Love my 28.5 have spent weeks aboard. Just remember you have room for few personal possessions but what the heck. It's like having a cabin on the water, without any grass to mow.
I'm hoping to move aboard fulltime in a few months.
The 'best-case-scenario' for me is to get permission from my long-time landlady to sublet the house I'm renting (a small 2-bedroom on a patch of property... elbow room) to one of two people interested, that I know well and trust... which would allow me to keep what stuff I don't land-jettison, in the big metal shop building several yards away! :)
The 'not-so-best-case-scenario' is, let this place go and pay for a storage unit in town.
The ideal situation allows me to have 24/7 access to my stuff in the shop building, electricity, and water. The owners even plumbed in a nice toilet in the outhouse next to the shop! I have tooling for a small home-sized machine shop (to include my horseshoeing/blacksmithing tools), woodworking, and bicycle repair. I also have items left to me by my mom that I eventually want to pass on to my kid. I have my sporting equipment and all my necessary items for teaching Wilderness Survival (I plan on starting classes again this coming Fall Semester).
I pay $1,000/month rent (includes water), electricity and gas (as low as $40/month and as high as $100/month - if I run the heater for my GF often during the winter when she stays over).
If I can sublet for $900... $800... or even $700... transfer utilities to the new renter (or whatever arrangement we decide upon), and keep my storage here and use my washing machine/dryer here... considering the slip fee of approx. $164/month and whatever electricity I use there... showers .50/15min, laundry at the marina on occasion... it'll be a pretty good deal for me! :D

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The 'best-case-scenario' for me is to get permission from my long-time landlady to sublet the house I'm renting
That should be in your present written lease, if you have one.

Good luck!

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
That should be in your present written lease, if you have one.

Good luck!
I do have a standard lease.
We used to work together at the same hospital... I've known her for quite a few years.
I've been working on the house from time-to-time helping her out.... that's not in the lease... ;)
I'm just working out all the details I wish to present to her, think of any questions she may have so I might have an answer beforehand.
I'm also considering putting a time limit on it too, so I don't approach her with, "... how long?.. uhhhhhhhhh.... I don't know... -shrug shoulders-"

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It sounds like you have it figured out. I wouldn't quickly discount the outboard. They are relatively cheap compared to an inboard diesel and way easier to replace.

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Way to go WSmac. Sounds like you have a plan. When the GF says she thinks it's small just tell her "it lets me be closer to you"! :biggrin:

I'd take the electrical motor down to Santa Rosa and have them do an inspection/upgrade to any parts missing. Let them know your providing a test bed for their product and telling everyone in the Hunter community about it. Maybe they will throw in some free stuff or

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Way to go WSmac. Sounds like you have a plan. When the GF says she thinks it's small just tell her "it lets me be closer to you"! :biggrin:

I'd take the electrical motor down to Santa Rosa and have them do an inspection/upgrade to any parts missing. Let them know your providing a test bed for their product and telling everyone in the Hunter community about it. Maybe they will throw in some free stuff or
Thanks for the line! I'll try to remember it and use it at the right moment! ;)

I have already sent them pics of everything, but yeah... I do much better with this stuff in person. They sounded friendly enough during our long-distance exchanges, so a trip south is definitely in the plans for me!

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
It sounds like you have it figured out. I wouldn't quickly discount the outboard. They are relatively cheap compared to an inboard diesel and way easier to replace.

Ken
I sent an email to Mercury this morning asking about prop type/size for the motor (sent serial number) and my boat (sent specifics to help) and they emailed me back in just a few hours!
Now THAT was cool!
I popped the 'hood' on the engine the other day and found a few things I want to address.... the first of which is new spark plug wires... mine are dry and cracked!
Next is some corrosion in various places at electrical junctions.

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Slipping in a little work on the o/b while working on the inside of the boat
DSC_4020.JPG DSC_4016.JPG DSC_4019.JPG

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Yesterday I took some time to check out part of the waste system...
I knew the manual waste pump was shot... didn't realize how clogged up the pump and at least one hose were!
Guess I'll be giving the whole system a once-through!
Should get this resolved before I (hopefully... soon) get my o/b parts in and get the motor running again.
That way... once I have the ability to motor to the pumpout station, the waste system will actually be ready to allow a pumpout! :)
DSC_4243.JPG DSC_4242.JPG

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
I also took out the remaining part of the cabin sole... the biggest part.
I wound up ripping it into 2 pieces to facilitate removal, transport, repair, and replacement.
The PO and the PO before the PO, apparently figured they could just put in some wooden wedges to keep a failing floor from failing totally... I, unfortunately, almost dropped my knee completely through it recently!
I have my plans for an attempt at saving this, we'll see how it goes, but I'll be open to options should this repair not meet my standards.
DSC_4246.JPG DSC_4247.JPG DSC_4248.JPG DSC_4249.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
should this repair not meet my standards.
WSMac, I applaud your ideals.:clap:
Remember in establishing standards these are for a boat. One that will have a variable amount of use. What you put into it will be known and valuable only to you. The next owner very likely will have no clue as to the importance you have placed on the changes and improvements.

Boats often are not enginered to the same standards you would use on a land based dwelling. Different forces, level of use, and experienced conditions can lead to standards a house carpenter would see as poor, while a marine carpenter identifies as functional. Some of this is weight related. Small Sail boats are by their nature made of light weight materials where it is possible. So a floor that can hold the weight of a person or 2 is all that is considered in a boat, But on a back yard deck would be unacceptable.

Be careful not to make yor boat top heavy.

You are on a great adventure. I am enjoying your discovery. May the projects give you much joy. I look forward to you sharing your sailing stories. May they start sooner than later.
John

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
WSMac, I applaud your ideals.:clap:
Remember in establishing standards these are for a boat. One that will have a variable amount of use. What you put into it will be known and valuable only to you. The next owner very likely will have no clue as to the importance you have placed on the changes and improvements...
John
I'll have to disagree with you on this one... I think once anyone on my boat sees the amount of GOLD and JEWELS I put into my head... they'll agree about the value! ;)
Edited to Add - OOPS! Forgot the picture of the new head install! Damn!

Seriously though... for the head... I just want something that functions properly and is safe.
For the sole... same thing. I was thinking I'd just try and repair the bad spot on that one piece of floor... maybe glass it... but if that comes out poorly, then go to options I've seen other boaters take, here and elsewhere.
I'm all about keeping my boat from being a heavy old boat, and listing all the time.
I've been eyeballing places to put my starter and house batteries, with the knowledge that when I finally install the electric propulsion unit... there are going to be MORE heavy batteries to place.
I see this boat as a bay sailer and possibly a coastal sailer, albeit not a long-distance one.
But I'll get that all sorted out as I move along.
:D

Attachments

Last edited: