Hunter 28.5 how do you remove handrails

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
How do you remove, re-finish, re-seal and replace handrails on deck above the cabin on the Hunter 28.5?

have read several posts about grabrails on larger hunters with nuts under removable headliners, but was not able to see anyway to access grabrail nuts on the 28.5. Can not see a way to remove headliner.

Nick

Dec 8, 2015
x 1 x
You need to remove the bungs/plugs in the handrail and remove the screws... they are screwed into an aluminum/steel plate under the deck sandwiched in the fiberglass. I removed mine earlier during deck painting and resealed them with bedding compound otherwise water will find it's way into the cabin.

Feb 29, 2016
Oday 25 NH
How do the plugs come out? I am going to have to do this too. Do they have to be drilled out can they be pryed out?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've read that you can drill a properly-sized hole in the center of the plug, then drive a screw into it. When the screw bottoms out on the underlying fastener, it'll start to lift the plug.

Feb 29, 2016
Oday 25 NH
Good idea. I'm taking a set of a junk boat this weekend as mine are missing. They got lost when the engine was installed before I bought the boat.

Feb 29, 2016
Oday 25 NH
What kind and size screws are used on the grab rails? I ended up having to buy new parts and will have to drill them and install new screws.