Hunter 28.5 bilge question

Jun 18, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Lake Murry
Hello,
I just purchased a 1987 Hunter 28.5 sailboat. I am currently in the process of cleaning the interior of the boat. I have read on different forums that some Hunters as well as other sailboats have hidden or false bilges that are sometime filled with water, trash and oil. Does anyone know this is the case for the Hunter 28.5 sailboat.
Thanks
Dan

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Not a false bilge but a grid system that can trap water since there are no limber holes. Water and other junk can gather there and end up in the bilge when the boat heels. If you look in the bilge you will see the gel coated ribs running cross beam. I would suggest that you vacuum any water out of the bilge before sailing. Not a big deal in the long run. By the way the 28.5 is a great sailing boat.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, and the amount of water trapped can usually be measured in gallons. Some of the water gets released with boat motion but it is sure to replenished by its sources; actually the water that you see in the bilge it is usually the overflow of trapped water. Being the overflow it is usually cleaner than the one trapped deep in the bowels. You may curtail some of the accumulation by correcting some of the sources and refraining from some practices. Some of the sources are: rain leaks, plumbing leaks, packing gland drips, cockpit and deck washdowns, galleys spills, wet bathing suits, cooler drains, sea spray, shower drains, etc.

Jun 18, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Lake Murry
Thank you for the help. I just got the boat and currently trying to get everything set. I'm sure I will have a lot more questions.
Thanks again.
Dan