Hunter 27 sail stop/ gate

ryansk

Nov 24, 2015
hunter 27 oologah
Hello,
I have a 1993 Hunter 27. I am missing what I thought was the sail stop. I've ordered 2 and they are both wrong. I'm still waiting to hear back from US spars. Their online diagrams are helpful but I'm still not seeing exactly what I need. An identical boat at my marina has a cast aluminum piece that I'm not isn't made anymore. Any thoughts or ideas? A used one would be ideal. Attached is a picture. Thanks for any input.
Ryan
mast 2.JPG
mast 1.JPG

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
For whatever it helps, I'll try to snap a photo of mine tonight, yell at me tomorrow if I forget to post it.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Can a sail stop serve the purpose of a mast gate? When would one be used preferentially over the other?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Can a sail stop serve the purpose of a mast gate? When would one be used preferentially over the other?
A mast gate allows some of the lower sail slides to fall closer to the boom when reefing. The slides will be stacked tightly in the track. If your mast is designed to have a mast gate, the slot to put the slides into will be higher up the mast than on a mast that is designed for a sail stop.

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
There is a fellow who specializes in making mastgates. You send him the dimensions and fabricates it for you.
http://www.mastgates.com/home.html

I am too cheap and got some Aluminum sheet metal and made my own. If you know someone who is good at torturing sheet metal they might be able to help you. Below is my first attempt, I've cleaned it up since then. I have openings on both sides of the slot which is why I needed two.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
One of the best improvement I've made to my boat is replacing a homemade, screw-fastened mast gate with one of Tom Luque's internal mastgates. See http://www.mastgates.com/photos.htmlt. Very worth the purchase price.

Like 'Tom G P-21' mentioned, Mr. Luque will make you a mastgate base on your mast's dimensions. TomL is a good guy to work with; give him a call. Installation is super-easy and fast.
I use a sail track stop, too. I have one of those thumbscrew stops, but if my sail was larger, I'd buy one of Tom's QuickRelease Trackstops.