Hunter 27 Edge Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
I don't think I'll ever pull anyone water skiing or tubing. My brother has a little Glastron on a lake and that's what we use when we want to do that. That, however isn't what we like about the 27E. What we like is that we feel that the outboard engine gives us some options and piece of mind.

- We sail a lot in a big harbor where the wind can vary due to the shape of the coast and can be fickle and die down due to the land breeze/ sea breeze change in the late afternoon. When it is like this we power up and head out offshore to where the wind is more reliable...

- Went out with a friend who never mentioned to us she got motion sick (cars, planes, boats, probably skateboards :)) very easily. About 45 min out she couldn't take it anymore. The dramamine she took just wasn't helping. So we powered up and headed back in. We got back in a lot faster because we had the outboard and she was very glad for it

- want to sail on a day with a chance of thunderstorms? Lots of times around where I live they say 20-30% chance of thunder. We used to not go out, but missed out on a lot of good sailing. Now we check the weather before we go and if it looks like the storms are widely scattered or will pop up in the late afternoon we have the ability to get back in fast. Thanks to this on a couple of occasions we've gotten at least a 1/2 day of sailing in before the weather turned and were able to easily beat the storms to get back in...

- ever sail someplace where the tides and current can reach 6-7mph? We have. In our old 19ft boat with a 6HP engine we couldn't make any headway against that current. In the 27E we don't worry. If we need to beat a strong current we can dump ballast and power up and go faster than any current in our neck of the woods...

hope this helps....

1ged1

Oct 19, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Lake Macquarie
Do yoy find the steering heavy, especially when on a good heel?

1ged1

Oct 19, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Lake Macquarie
Have you raced the 260 yet?

Dear heli_av8er,

Have you raced you friend in the Hunter 260 yet?

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
so true

Seems all my quotes disappear when I do a reply with quote and only yours remain.

I took the MacFurler with the 150% Genoa I had on it off the 26M before I sold it. With the simple addition of a Johnson Quick Release Shroud Lever that cost me $75 I had the thing installed and working in minutes. Now I really don't like the MacFurler because I find that the drum line doesn't wind well onto it and is constantly binding, but it was paid for and given how much of a loss I ended up taking on the 26M I figured I'd keep it for now.

I don't have the MacFurler or even the CDI, I went all out and got the Schaefer Snapfurl CF700, a far superior furler system.

So I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say the Edge needs major work to accomodate a Genoa. That's not my experience at all...

There is no genoa track on the cockpit combing to mount a genoa car/block to run the genoa sheet through and then back to the winch.
You cannot be running your genoa sheet through the jib block that is mounted forward of the mast as that would just not work. I can only assume you are bringing the genoa aft to the winch directly without first running it through a car/block on a track. The major work I refer to is a track mounted on the cockpit combing on which one would attach the genoa car/block.

Gee wish I'd known sooner, I'd have sold you mine :)

And I would likely have bought it if I didn't already have one.

I personally don't think the Edge's interior is slightly better than the Mac's. I think it is vastly superior. For a boat only 6 inches longer and 6 inches wider the amount of interior room in it compared to the Mac is IMO significant.
The amount of extra interior room is significant, the Mac is a skinny boat and it has been thorn in my side since day one.
But it's not just me and my wife who think this. From the first time they set foot on the Edge my family and all of our friends who have been on both boats with us unanimously expressed the unsolicited opinion that the Edge was much more roomy both in the interior, and even more importantly in the cockpit.
Yes I noticed the extra room when I inspected it at the boat show.

We've had no problem going out on the Edge with 6 people. Everyone was able to sit comfortably and get up and move around the boat at will. You try putting 6 people in a 26M and the only way anyone can move around the cockpit is by crawling over each other. Likewise inside the cabin you need to do the airline aisle scooch to get by one another.
You are correct about the space limitations on a Mac so I would never have 6 people aboard when sailing, to be honest, it is only my wife and I so there is never more than two,
So as someone who has owned both boats I heartily disagree with you on this.

BTW
If you're such a huge MacGregor fan then why are you hanging around in a forum for discussion of the Hunter Edge bashing the boat? You don't see me hanging around in the MacGregor Sailors forum bashing on the 26M and dishing about all the bad experiences I had with it and how MacGregor refused to stand behind their warranty or compel the dealer who sold me the boat to do so.
This is a Trailer Sailors Forum, not an exclusive Hunters Forum The OP asked for the Good, Bad, and Ugly and so is getting just that.
Perhaps I should not have expressed my negative opinion and just stuck with the facts.
Fact #1 There is no Traveller
Fact #2 There are no tracks, jib or genoa track
Fact #3 Therefore limited sail trim controls
Fact #4 The Hunter is much more expensive
Fact #5 It is substantially heavier and also larger
Fact #6 The Hunter does not come factory ready to accomodate a genoa and is not really designed to.

hmm, I sure didn't notice that. In fact I found my Edge handles a lot better than the 26M. Unlike MacGregor's rinky dink daggerboard the Hunter's swing keel does a lot better job of keeping the boat from slipping across the line of travel when the wind is abeam. The extra weight wrt to the overall freeboard means that it comes about better. And I've gotten my Edge as fast as 7.5mph in a 15mph (that's true speed over ground measured on a GPS) breeze without really trying. I never got the 26M to go over 6.6mph.

I have had my 26M at 8mph under sail measured on my GPS

So if you're telling me the Edge can't sail well once again my experiences as someone who has owned both boats are quite contrary to that sweeping assertion and it makes me think that etiher you've actually never been on an Edge or perhaps you have some vested interest in promoting MacGregor's.
No vested interest, I am acutely aware of the MacGregor's shortcomings because I have had to rectify many of them. Those sharp edges in the bilges you mentioned that gave you all the cuts in your hand - one of the first mods I did was to sand and file all those sharpies out and then paint a heavy coat of white gel coat over the entire bilge surface so that my wife could put stores in them.
I have never sailed the Edge, I only gave it a thorough inspection on the hard at the boat show.

All the specs, including the actual towing weight with *ALL* options including fuel (at 48lbs for 6 gal), potable water (160lb for 20 gal in the optional tank) and the 75HP Evinrude (which weighs about 320lb if I recall the Evinrude spec correctly) are listed on Hunter's website and in the glossy data sheet they hand out at the boat shows. They indicate it as 4920lbs when fully loaded, which covers quite most of the heavier items one might add to a boat.

In addition, I don't think too many people tow their boats with the fuel onboard and their potable water tanks full. I know I don't. So that saves about 200lbs right there. So it's quite clear that the Edge can be towed with a Class 3 hitch and vehicle of 5000lb towing capacity. Still doesn't stop me from trying to convince my wife to let me buy the Porsche Cayenne
ttfn
When I tow my Mac I am only at 80% of the max tow capacity for Class 3 so I have a 20% margin of safety, something I would not have towing the Hunter Edge. I would prefer a class 4 setup for the Hunter thank you.

There is one common thread that runs through all models of Hunter sailboats that I have noticed. They all appeal to the female side of the buying decision. Hunter folks were smart enough to realize early on in the game that if the wife did not approve, the sale would not take place, so they built an interior that would WoW a woman in all their models but in so doing they neglected some of the rigging issues that appeal to the male side of the buying decision.
All boats are a compromise of some sort, be they power or sail and the potential buyer needs to be aware of what the compromises are so that they can focus on the ones that apply to them. In this thread there are those (including myself) who are pointing out some of those compromises just for the potential buyers. We are not neccessarily bashing the Hunter, just pointing out the compromises.

Jul 6, 2009
Macgregor 2001 26X Dry Storage
Re: Taking on water possible head problem........

Well guys, I still have a leak, enough water comes in especially when under moter power to engage both two bilge pumps. One aft of the rudder and one forward of the rudder and a bit higher. Lsat weekend we were out for a two day raft up and being late to arrive we decided to motor all the way. During this time both bilge pumps alternated pumping out water from going at slow speed to all ahead full. Puzzeling to say the least, maybe it's time to call in the Hunter experts.........I just can't seem to find where the problem is. Any thoughts from the brain trust?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Call

I would call Hunter for sure,could be some thing they need to repair under warranty.

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
Do yoy find the steering heavy, especially when on a good heel?
Yes, but that doesn't bother me much. Because of the linkage to the outboard it's weight is on the steering system. With the engine up it's even a little heavier. That's probably one of the few good things I'd have to say about the 26M is that you can disconnect the engine. Of course I quickly found that MacGregor's factory linkage was a piece of junk that I wasted my money on and I got a well designed after market one from one of their dealers in the Seattle area. On the Hunter the engine can't detach.

On the plus side though, on the Hunter, because the engine is connected to the steering system with the Evinrude linkage designed to be used with the engine instead of an after market kludge, it actually aligns with the rudder. I also found that the 26M had a lot of slop in the steering. You could wiggle the wheel without the rudders actually moving. So in my mind it's sort of the difference between the steering on an old american car with power steering vs a german car. Some people like the mushier steering others like it tighter. I'm in the latter class...

I still sail with the engine up most of the time despite it making the steering heavier, although on days when there are a lot of boat out I've been tending to leave it down more often so I can power up to maneuver around the nimrods that don't know the right of way rules...

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
In this thread there are those (including myself) who are pointing out some of those compromises just for the potential buyers. We are not neccessarily bashing the Hunter, just pointing out the compromises.
OK, sorry if I harshed on you. I got crapped on so much over in the macgregorsailors.com forum for bringing up all the problems I had with the 26M I bought that I'm a little defensive. This was made even worse by their yanking my access and putting an IP filter so I couldn't log back in when I continued to discuss my incredibly negative experiences with the 26M and how MacGregor refused to stand behind their warranty. Anyway let's just leave that in the past as it gets me worked up just thinking about it....

I don't have the MacFurler or even the CDI, I went all out and got the Schaefer Snapfurl CF700, a far superior furler system.
I only kept the MacFurler because I was losing a bit of $ by dumping the 26M and wanted to keep the costs down. How do you like the Schaefer?

I've been looking at the Facnor and ProFurl. I was sort of intrigued by the continuous line furlers but now I'm thinking twice about them. Discussions I've seen seem to indicate that keeping tension on the line is a consideration.

Given the size of my sail (a 150% Genoa) I've also looked into a Gennaker Furler like the Facnor FXs. These use a torque rope with a swivel at the top instead of a rigid tube or flexible strip. I'm still trying to learn more about them.

There is no genoa track on the cockpit combing to mount a genoa car/block to run the genoa sheet through and then back to the winch. You cannot be running your genoa sheet through the jib block that is mounted forward of the mast as that would just not work. I can only assume you are bringing the genoa aft to the winch directly without first running it through a car/block on a track. The major work I refer to is a track mounted on the cockpit combing on which one would attach the genoa car/block.
Still not sure I understand you. The jib blocks that come standard on the 27E are on top of the cabin aft of the mast, not forward of it. I do, in fact, run my genoa sheet through these, then back to the cam cleat mounted just behind them. These are inline with the winches, so it is definitely possible to run the sheet through the block and cam cleat then back to the winch.

I never found much utility in the tracks the 26M has. Most of the time I use my genoa more like a jib, so I always set the blocks in one position and left them there. Admittedly, I'm into cruising not racing, but I don't see any real issue for most people. Even when I furled the genoa out a bit more I haven't had any real issue except for sailing downwind.

Given the locations of the block, whether it was on a track or not, I found that with a 150% genoa I own when sailing downwind I can't open it out all the way. I bought track mounted rotating cam cleats for the 26M which went into tracks on the gunwale at the cockpit. These have a hex nut fastener, not a quick release so once installed for the season I never moved them so their is not much utility in their being on tracks if you want to reposition them rapidly. In order to open the genoa up full when sailing downwind I'd pull the genoa sheet out of the track mounted pulley and run it outboard of the stays and directly into these cleats. That let me sail wing on wing with the genoa fully open and the main all the way out.

I can't do that at present with the Hunter, but I kept the track mounted cleats from the 26M. I'm planning on getting a couple of bails which I can attach to the base of the lifeline stanchions at the front of the cockpit. I plan on mounting blocks on them. I'm also going to get 2ft of T track, cut it in half, and put 1 ft of it on the cockpit gunwales even with the pedestal. By doing this I will be able to run the genoa sheet from the block on top of the deck, through the block at the base of the lifeline stanchion, and into the rotating track monuted cam cleats. This will leave both sheets where I can reach them from the captain's chair. When sailing with the wind abeam this should be fine.

For sailing downwind I'll still have to pull the sheet back out and run it outside of the stays. In that case I plan to run it to the blocks mounted on the lifeline stanchions then back to the rotating track mounted cam cleats in order to be able to let the genoa out full.

I don't anticipate this modification taking more than 30 minutes or so to install and it will cost under $100. So I don't consider this a big deal.

The amount of extra interior room is significant, the Mac is a skinny boat and it has been thorn in my side since day one. But it's not just me and my wife who think this. I noticed the extra room when I inspected it at the boat show.

There is one common thread that runs through all models of Hunter sailboats that I have noticed. They all appeal to the female side of the buying decision. Hunter folks were smart enough to realize early on in the game that if the wife did not approve, the sale would not take place, so they built an interior that would WoW a woman in all their models but in so doing they neglected some of the rigging issues that appeal to the male side of the buying decision.

You are correct about the space limitations on a Mac so I would never have 6 people aboard when sailing, to be honest, it is only my wife and I so there is never more than two,
When we decided to upgrade from the Potter 19 it was in large part because we found it so cramped with 4 people on it. If you look at the 26M's marketing materials you'll see that in the summary specification chart they list "Berths (sleeps 6)". In the color glossy brochure they say the "cabin itself will seat 8 or more people", "will sleep a total of 6 adults", etc. The high pressure salesmen told us that 6 people could fit comfortably in the cockpit when sailing.

I'll admit it was foolish of me to have bought into all this, but having only had a 19ft boat and seeing the 26M on a trailer at an indoor boat show it was hard to really judge that despite the larger cockpit it really would not accomodate 6 people comfortably as they claimed...

I am acutely aware of the MacGregor's shortcomings because I have had to rectify many of them. Those sharp edges in the bilges you mentioned that gave you all the cuts in your hand - one of the first mods I did was to sand and file all those sharpies out and then paint a heavy coat of white gel coat over the entire bilge surface so that my wife could put stores in them.
I'm betting this took a lot of time. My experiences with conversing with other Mac owners seem to have a commonality. In general they all seem to indicated spending a lot of time fixing the boat's shortcomings, adding things because it is sold stripped, or fixing things that break. Those I've spoken with all seem to have the attitude that this isn't a big deal.

IMHO though the time spent on these things adds up. Perhaps I got spoiled by how little initial work and ongoing maintenance I had to do on my Potter. In the 6 years I owned that boat I spent 98+% of my time sailing it. Even though I got the 26M fairly loaded, and certainly as a result of how badly the dealer who sold it to me screwed it up, I spent 1/2 my time working on it. When I wasn't tearingout and reinstalling stuff the dealer botched I was having to modify it due to some shortcoming I found with it or fixing something that broke.

So in this regard the Hunter 27E Edge has been a big win for me. Yes I plan to do some customization work. I already put in a VHF radio and antenna. That took about 2 hours. Probably would have taken less if I hadn't been working on it while it was on the mooring. Always takes me longer to do work when I'm not on dry land. I might relocate the stereo since I don't like having electrics under the sink. I'm thinking of putting a glove box type unit where it is now to hold small stuff I need to get to in a hurry. I also plan to add shore power and the battery charger I kept from the 26M since, again due to how much $ I lost on the 26M debacle, I didn't get it with this installed. Other than that and the gunwale T track there isn't much other work or customization I'd find necessary to suit my needs....

When I tow my Mac I am only at 80% of the max tow capacity for Class 3 so I have a 20% margin of safety, something I would not have towing the Hunter Edge. I would prefer a class 4 setup for the Hunter thank you.
There is a common perception that if something is rated for a certain towing capacity that you shouldn't tow up to that capacity but should leave yourself a "margin of safety". This is a misconception. Do you have any idea how many lawyers work for car companies? And how many other lawyers there are out there that would be happy to sue one if a vehicle didn't perform to it's rated capacity. You can bet your life that when a car company rates the towing capacity of a vehicle it is designed to handle a lot more than the rated capacity.

Take VW for example. VW got sued for the Touareg when it had been on the market only a couple of years. They said it could tow 7700lbs (which it could) but they didn't correctly specify the tongue weight. They lost big, had to pay the lawsuit and change their commercials so it wouldn't show them towing something that exceeded the toungue weight the Touareg was capable of. This is the only instance of a major lawsuit I can recall in my life stemming from a vehicle that didn't tow what its manufacturer claimed it could.

When GM/Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Toyota, etc. say they can tow 5000lbs they can tow 5000lbs. You don't need to keep a margin of safety because no auto company is going to expose themselves to the enormous liability that would be inherent in saying their car could tow 5000lbs and having it fail if someone tried towing 5100lbs. While I wouldn't try it, I'm sure that my 4Runner was designed with a true capacity of at least 20% more than what it is rated for, and probably more like 50% given how much commercial contractors use their vehicles. So I'm not worried one bit that my class 3 hitch from Master Lock and my Toyota 4Runner can't safely tow the Edge which is rated at 4920lbs when outfitted with an engine heavier than mine and options I don't have.

All boats are a compromise of some sort, be they power or sail and the potential buyer needs to be aware of what the compromises are so that they can focus on the ones that apply to them.
I heartily second this statement.

In my opinion the root cause of my extreme dissatisfaction with the 26M was that I had a good idea of what I wanted and the 26M's marketing materials promised that the boat was what I was looking for when it was not. I also feel that the reason I've so far been extremely satisfied with the Hunter 27E Edge despite the fact that it is very similar to the 26M is that it actually fulfills those things I thought I was getting with the 26M which it fell short of. Things such as seating capacity, interior room, fit, finish, etc...

In my mind the differences between the 26M and the Hunter 27E Edge are like the differences between a low priced, no frills car and a higher priced mid market car. Neither one is in the top of the line luxury or high performance class and to pretend so (not that Capt Kermie is, but that some marketing materials may imply one of the boats is more than it really is) is misleading. The lower priced car will perform reasonably well but be less comfortable and have fewer bells and whistles. The higher priced car may perfom better (or not), be more comfortable and have more extras or upscale features. Many people will choose the lower priced one figuring the differences between the two don't justify the extra cost. Others will choose the higher priced one because they're willing to pay the difference for the extras which they deem important.

Did I pay more for these things? Definitely. Was it worth the extra $ to me to have these? Yes. Would someone else agree that it was worth the extra $? See Capt. Kermie's above statement and mine...

ttfn,

Dr. Beer

Jul 23, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Port Bara Taragona Spain
Are there any Hunter 27 Edge owners who will share there opinions of this boat? Please include factory options and dealer add-ons you may have. I am considering a purchase and would like the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Thanks!

Hi!
I was the first to receive an Edge in the UK / Europe. I got a great deal as the broker wished to display her at Southampton boat show. Every extra bestowed with the exception of AC.
Completely new to sailing, (which is the main application) this boat seemed to tick all the boxes. She needed to be managable single handed. Give enough comfort for a weekend accommodation. Trailer orientated for the obvious reasons. Avoidance of mariner cost and the ability to experience new locations far beyond the reach of a day sailor.
That’s the intro over now down to experience.
The boat was delivered 6 months late. So never did get displayed at the boat show. Due for not meeting EEC regulation. Structure thickness. Therefore needed adjustment. You may like to enquire if The US boats have been equally upgraded.
Once received. I transported her to Barcelona Spain. I calculated with the given specification it would require a Cherokee V8 jeep to undertake the 1500 mile initial trip. Having never trailed before. This was quite an experience as boat trailer hitch and car totals around 40 ft in length.
The chosen car was way over capacitated, pulling this fully loaded boat with much ease. The trailer, incidentally, is illegal hear in the UK. As it’s just over width for the narrow roads. The trailer, a quality item, required the removal of its jockey wheel whilst motoring, as road clearance was just too fine. The resting position of the boat on trailer is far forwarded of the axel centre line and will need to adjust at some time. This should increase the road clearance of the jockey wheel.
Incidentally had fitted a front tow hitch. As reversing this rig is almost imposable!!!!
Re-cap. Trailer 1st class product. Easily pulled with the V8. Lookout for weight distribution and jockey wheel clearance.
The chosen marina (just out side Barcelona) had no slip way. Which was OK as the cost of harness in and out the water is relatively inexpensive. Note the lifting points clash with the trailers resting rails. But with some manipulation we managed to finely get her bottom wet.
She had sea test in UK I insisted we used the slip way on and off trailer a couple of times. This was not so easy would not wish to do this so often, guess with practice mite get easier.
Oman. Getting on my new toy, for the first time in the Med. I dropped my wallet, containing all my cards into the sea! Immediately followed by my wrist watch! Maybe I was been told. ‘I’ll need all your money and Time’ (Not unlike most ladies) This true, although I did retrieve my wallet (pocket book)
Once tied off, proceeded to raise the mast for the first time. This was surprisingly easy, although I needed to refer to manual for confirmation. Had verbally ran through with the broker, erection process and had de-masted her, prior road trip.
Re-cap. Getting off trailer easy getting back on not so. Mast assembly child’s play.
One year later.
My idea, to remove her form the water each time, was a non starter. She’s tied up and ready to sail at a moments notice. It takes about 20 mins to make ready and about 45mins to tie up, including washing down. I jump on her every available moment and in the Med that’s often.
This has been a real hand’s on learning curve. The first problem I encounter was the necessity to get out of the relative safety of the cockpit for so many of the cable functions. I resolved this by introducing a Lazy jack system (not totally successful, due to the size of the main, but ok until returning to the dock) + 5 no. additional jamming cleats. Bringing all lines within arms distance has made sailing so much more pleasurable. Surprisingly Hunter does not offer this as an option!
Other items adjusted to my own preference was to exchange the wheel to a larger diameter. This has made a big difference, as you are aware the engine is permanently connected and therefore very heavy. I also introduced a second fuel tank. Enabling a full days motoring at a reasonable speed.
Re-cap. Add jamming cleats, lazy jack system and larger wheel. A must for comfortable solo sailing. An additional tank for all day motoring.
Under Power. As stated sailing was my priority. Indeed I regret ordering the larger engine which adds weight to the whole rig, makes steering under sail heavy, fuel consumption is restricting. Also the bigger engine looks un-gamely, it’s a big lump on the back. Note. In the promotional material has a small engine.
The performance stated, stands, providing she is striped of all extras and carrying the minimal of crew. I found, that with rudder and keel raised, as advised in manual. She is directionally uncontrollable via engine propulsion alone. One is compelled to lower, in part or full, depending on speed, rudder and keel which produces additional friction. Note have been instructed to NOT empty water balast at any time!!!
So crewed up + a few extras + a towed donut. You won’t get anywhere very fast. Anyway fuel consumption will limit your play to around 45mins.
Re-cap. Not as advertised.
Under Sail. Theirs nothing like the moment, when you turn off the engine and let the wind take your sails. For me that’s what’s it all about. Despite my limited experience and with the few necessary adjustments, as mentioned , she is a dream, responsive and safe. Have experience, with sails trimmed, 18 knots of wind, I felt totally secure. She has a water tank up front, which tends to compensate the weight of the engine and aids balance stability. As for speed. Don’t expect too much. She’s built for comfort and a sense of safety.
Recap. With suggested mods. A brilliant easy to use. Dose what it says on the bottle
Faults. The main problem has been electrolysis. Which has culminated with a bill of £2000 That’s £2000 For replacement parts to the engine. The corrosion was evident within 12 weeks.
Could not get a response from Hunter or any sense from my broker. If you have a ship to land electric supple. Do not leave on!! Also do not remove engine from water as this extracts the anodes.
To date no one has prepared to take responsibility or explain the fault.
Other problems. The removable bar designated to hold the mast when transporting, has fallen off. The stair rails into the cabin, abutment to cabin sole, have erupted with rusts. Hatchway and other areas leak terribly. The above have been reported to the broker. With no great response.
Re-cap. Very poor after sales service Left with large bill.
Despite the above comments don’t be put off. I looked at the Mac. Quality and comfort she leaps ahead. For the novice a dream to learn with. Very good value for money particularly when you break it down, boat, engine, trailer. How do they do it?
My only disappointment is with the Hunter’s lack of after sales support.
Hope the above is of assistance.

Michael in the UK

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
It sounds like you needed to have a galvanic isolater installed on your edge. That may have solved some of the electrolysis problems.

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
very different post sales experience

Faults. The main problem has been electrolysis. If you have a ship to land electric supple. Do not leave on!! Also do not remove engine from water as this extracts the anodes.
To date no one has prepared to take responsibility or explain the fault.
Other problems. The removable bar designated to hold the mast when transporting, has fallen off. The stair rails into the cabin, abutment to cabin sole, have erupted with rusts. Hatchway and other areas leak terribly. The above have been reported to the broker. With no great response.
Re-cap. Very poor after sales service Left with large bill.
Despite the above comments don’t be put off. I looked at the Mac. Quality and comfort she leaps ahead. For the novice a dream to learn with. Very good value for money particularly when you break it down, boat, engine, trailer. How do they do it?
My only disappointment is with the Hunter’s lack of after sales support.
Michael in the UK
WRT electrolysis if you leave your AC plugged in you should have a galvanic isolator of some type. That's just a boating basic.

I put up my engine when I'm not using it and so far have had no indication at all of any problems. I have my boat on a mooring and don't leave the AC connected. So again this may be a galvanic isolation issue because if you have a battery charger on the AC side connecting into your batteries, and therefore the DC system, it connects through to the engine.

As for leaks, I had hatch leaks on mine too. That's likely because my boat sat in a dealer lot in North Carolina for a year before making its way to me.

The dealer I got my boat from (Russell's Marine in Maine) was fantastic. He got me a full set of replacement gaskets and after replacing all the hatch cover gaskets I've had no more leaks.

If you do this make sure to unscrew the hinge on the folding top hatch cover and put a gasket between it and the hatch panels. I found that the real source of the leaks was the area around this hinge, both between the hinge and the panels and out at the edges where the gaskets from the hinge and the one in the groove on the cover panels themselves didn't overlap the gasket in the drain channel properly.

I personally wouldn't have designed a hatch this way. I've got some ideas for modifying or replacing it but since the new gaskets fixed the problem I'm holding off. If the gaskets don't hold up then I might make the modification.

Overall I found Hunter's support here in the US to be much better than MacGregor's. I bought a Mac 26M brand new prior to ditching it in favor of the Edge. I had huge problems with that boat due to a very unscrupulous dealer and MacGregor did nothing to compel the dealer to comply with the warranty. It was a nightmare. Things have been much better since I got rid of the Mac and got the Hunter.

cheers,

Jay H

Status
Not open for further replies.