Hunter 27 (1984) - Furler Clearance Issues

Jun 11, 2023
Hunter 27 Deer Island
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Hunter 27 (1984) and have spent most of this season getting her back in shape.

The most recent issue I've encountered is the very limited clearance between furler drum-head and the pulpit. The clearances are so tight that during furling, there is standardly a complete stoppage. Not only is this frustrating, as single-handed sailer, it's just dangerous!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to effectively address this issue?

Attachments

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Hunter 27 (1984) and have spent most of this season getting her back in shape.

The most recent issue I've encountered is the very limited clearance between furler drum-head and the pulpit. The clearances are so tight that during furling, there is standardly a complete stoppage. Not only is this frustrating, as single-handed sailer, it's just dangerous!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to effectively address this issue?
Just from the looks of it I would guess that the pulpit had been run into something solid, not that that would ever happen to a nice boat like that. a simple solution might be to tie a hard line onto the pulpit and back away from the shore based anchor point. I only point out this possible solution based on my extensive experience as a teenager. YEMV

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Those can be rough years.
I considered raising the whole pulpit. But that would create greater leverage someone fell against it. And I'm not sure that you can raise it enough.
I considered cutting the cross member off - I'm not sure it's necessary other than to mount the bow light which could be relocated. I've been on many boats without a crossmember like that. Bracing is nice but a little flex in the bow pulpit might not be that bad.
I considered who set this up. It's clearly a problem. I'm assuming no pre-purchase survey otherwise this should have been noted.
In the end it's a poor installation and the cure is a new furler that fits.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Just from the looks of it I would guess that the pulpit had been run into something solid, not that that would ever happen to a nice boat like that. a simple solution might be to tie a hard line onto the pulpit and back away from the shore based anchor point. I only point out this possible solution based on my extensive experience as a teenager. YEMV
I found a photo of a Hunter 27 from that era and the bent pulpit leg appears to be a design feature.

Given the age of the boat, I suspect no one thought about putting roller furling on the 27. I also don't know what the thinking was about the open front on the pulpit.

The only solution I see are modifying or replacing the pulpit or finding a roller furling unit that fits better.