Hunter 260 "Wide Load" Permit requirement

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Ready to ship 260 from GA to FL. I understand the boat and trailer were designed to be tailorable and a permit for wide load restrictions did not apply to the boat on a trailer assuming the sailboat data 8'11" Beam is accurate. I have to confirm whether the boat shipper is hauling boat and trailer on a flat bed or towing the trailer.
Is the tandem trailer considered a long haul or just short travel to local lakes and therefore you shouldn't be trailering over 500 miles to our destination. Seller said the trailer has been maintenanced ( bearing grease, tires, inertial brakes) and only used to launch and retrieve the boat from fresh water.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've hauled mine from Central Virgina to the albemarle sound ... to New Bern to the gulf coast and then to Charleston SC. It hauls very well. Make sure your breaks work and there is at least 200+# on the trailer tonge.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Some haulers don't want to pull a customer's trailer. They'd rather haul the whole lot and avoid breakdowns. Big difference in cost. Good luck!

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Some haulers don't want to pull a customer's trailer. They'd rather haul the whole lot and avoid breakdowns. Big difference in cost. Good luck!
Thanks RGranger
Sounds like a plan. What kind of truck do you use to haul the boat. I have a 2007 6cyl. Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition that is rated at 5,000.00lbs. What is the weight of trailer and boat. Sailboat data tell you empty ballast , the boat weights 3200 and 5,000 ballast loaded. I might have some difficulty getting it out of the water before emptying the ballast.
Any thoughts

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just haul it out slow and let it drain. You'll be fine. I used to haul my Mac26S out with a 6cyl Aerostar

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Thank You..............Can't wait . Now all I need is a decent haul my trailer cost with an insured shipper. I stay away form trailers I have not owned whiule trying to haul that trailer +500 miles south to Clearwater, FL. Should I find a local shop near the boats location to ensure the trailer is road worthy and just haul it myself. All kinds of things go wrong for sure. Rather pay for someone else to accept the liability.
Your thoughts

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just me talkin', but I'd have the bearings and tires checked out locally and haul it home myself. Make an adventure out of it. You could even sleep on board.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
Thanks RGranger
Sounds like a plan. What kind of truck do you use to haul the boat. I have a 2007 6cyl. Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition that is rated at 5,000.00lbs. What is the weight of trailer and boat. Sailboat data tell you empty ballast , the boat weights 3200 and 5,000 ballast loaded. I might have some difficulty getting it out of the water before emptying the ballast.
Any thoughts
I would get a bigger tow rig‍ I have a Chevrolet 1/2 ton and if I have any headwind I can’t hold speed, and push the truck hard. I tow mine 3 hours each way 5 or six times a year

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Thank You..............Can't wait . Now all I need is a decent haul my trailer cost with an insured shipper. I stay away form trailers I have not owned whiule trying to haul that trailer +500 miles south to Clearwater, FL. Should I find a local shop near the boats location to ensure the trailer is road worthy and just haul it myself. All kinds of things go wrong for sure. Rather pay for someone else to accept the liability.
Your thoughts
I bought my boat December in wlimington, NC and towed it 300 miles home. I put on some new lights and tires and checked the hubs and tires along the way to ensure they are staying cool. There isn't much to a trailer.

After I got it home I put on new brakes and a new coupler (to replace the brake master cylinder) and then towed it from Virginia to Okeechobee, FL and back (1600 miles).

The width thing bothered me a bit and I about didn't buy a hunter because of it. I read many of the width rules for several states and over 8'6 is oversized. However they often give allowances for mirrors, awnings etc. to be over the 8'6". Does that mean the boat is within the rules or not? If you ask they will probably say yes it's too wide since the core of it is over 8'6" and the "goal posts" sit outside that. But doubt anyone will ever put a tape measure to it if you are towing it yourself. If you ask a pro to haul it you may have to pay for permits.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Thanks RGranger
Any thoughts
I think the boat and trailer combo is probably close to 5000lbs. Agree with Justin. If you can, check the bearings and tires and tow it home! Pull the boat up the ramp a little with ballast valve open, let some water drain out to lighten the load will help , instead of pulling it all the way up the ramp with full ballast. Got any pictures?

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
I towed a H260 on its original trailer from OK - CA. Added new tires to the trailer before setting off and balanced them. I towed it with a V8 F150 2005. Chowed the gas but it was worth it. I took a sleeping bag/ pillow and slept in the boat. Did'nt need any permit.

davegm

Sep 4, 2018
Hunter 260 Texas
Thanks RGranger
Any thoughts

The 260 is almost six inches over max width but I have never heard of one being pulled over and measured. I have read that it is 6000 lbs and tend to believe it because my 1/2 truck with a 3.0 liter diesel (420ftlbs of torque) had problems getting hot going up hills and steering on the highway. I babied it and got 19mpg for 900 miles from Iowa to Texas. I have since bought a weight distribution kit to keep the front end down. The 4Runner would not be good for highway towing at all. Also, tongue weight should be 10% of total or 600lbs.

$

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a silverado
Pulling out of the water is not a problem. I just go slow a pause every few inches initially and give time for the ballast to drain. I did have to move some gear forward in the boat to get enough tongue weight right for highway towing.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
@John Marrone ,

Does your 4Runner have a low range in 4WD? That will probably pull the 260 out of the water, no problem.

But my understanding is that the towing weight of a 260 is more like 6,000 pounds, not 5,000. I'm shopping for a 260 right now and I upgraded to a Ram 2500 to be sure I had enough towing capacity. (I like to have some margin on towing capacity, when I can.)

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
You can rent a pick up from haul one way. Much cheaper than having it hauled if your worried about using yours

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Having towed often the 26 and 260 there was a concern about the width of 8’ 11” width. To date , I have yet to hear anyone ever getting a ticket. If ever asked about the width, I just said 8’ 6”and nothing more ever said. At check points I was given a ticket for no dealer tag and twice asked if I had the proper diesel fuel in it. At no time no police officer would ever take the time to plumb bob the width. At dealer meetings this was a question asked often and we never heard of anyone getting a ticket for wide load. John, I hope this helps. Use to drive thru going and retuning with boats.

The only time a consumer was ever pulled over, it was in Texas for two much overhang which prompted hunter to get Magic Tilt trailers to extend the trailer frame out.

Suggest using marine related grease only for the hubs. On any journey I always suggested going 10-20 mikes pulling over checking hubs for excessive heat, Tie downs, winch handle secured and so forth and stopping every 100-150 miles for a break and recheck. Hope this helps