Hunter 260 purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
So the Hunter I wanted to purchase turned out to be a fraud. Here's my story. I had an add posted on a web site stating that I was looking for a Hunter 260. I recently received a call from and idividual who claimed he had one for sale. He represented a company that sold items for people, a broker of sorts. I asked him to email me the information about the boat and I immediately recognized the wording and the pics from an add I had seen before. I liked it then but it had sold very quickly. The more I spoke to this fellow the more that red flags were raised. He let me speak to the owner of the boat, who was an older lady with a heavy Texas drawl. She claimed that her husband had passed away and she was not a sailor so the boat had to go. She spoke about how much her husband loved and cared for the boat and when I asked her how long he owned the boat for she said "at least 3 -4 years". That didn't seem correct so I went through some old adds that I have saved and I found the add from the same boat. The add stated that it was placed in December of 09 and it sold in Feb of 10. That was less than a year ago so the womans statement about owning for at least 3-4 years just was not correct. I called the broker and this is where it got interesting. He claimed that he put the boat up for sale in Dec of 09 but the owner found out that he was illl and decided to take it off the market and sail it until he could no longer sail it. Well little did he know but the add clearly said 'sold' also it had the name of the gentleman who sold it and it stated where he was from (Alabama). I told him that I was done with him. He then stated that these were different adds, then he said the pictures were different. How could it be different with the identical wording to the other add. It didn't make sense. He continually was asking for a deposit and he would ship the boat to me and then I could pay him the remainder. He kept mentioning that my deposit would be in escrow and guaranteed if the boat wasn't what he claimed it to be. He made many other attempts to pursuade me. Very dissapointing on my end as I really liked the boat and price was right in my ball park. I don't know if I should print his name, but he had a very 'American' sounding name and a vert heavy East Indian (Pakistan?) accent. The add was originally on the Sailing Taxas website and I spoke with them to try to find out the purchaser's name but they did not keep those records back then (BTW, they do now). I would like to let the owner know what this guy is up to. So dissapointed right now, but I'm just going to have to stay patient and keep up the pursuit of the elusive Hunter 260!! :cry:

Be aware of these scam artists. They are out there. We should get these stories out and try to expose them or educate everyone to their tactics so no one loses any money. I must say, my head was telling me to run away but my heart really wanted to make that purchase which really made this difficult. Hope that sharing my experience helps someone.

Shanker

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
You can print his name but it won't be real. I'd google his phone number and email or use them to sign on to a few spam mail sites;). Or You could arrange a meeting(which he'd never show up for) and invite the "squat" team and sgt Stedanko. You got lucky that your emotions didn't quite cloud your common sense, it happens every day. Time to move on and find the boat of your dreams which probably won't be at a price that's too good to be true.

Attachments

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
Good stuff guys. I will be moored throughout the year and I'll go on one or two, week trips per year. It sounds like the Hunter is more difficult to set up for sailing and a little trickier to launch. It also sounds like it is much roomier than an X. Is the rear berth easier to access that the rear berth in the MacX? I was a little dissapointed in the rear berth of the X.

I have seen the odd comment about the sailing characteristics of the 260. As a novice sailer I'm still trying to assess what all that means. Apparently the 260 is not good in strong winds. I read a couple of 'reef early' posts. Are these sailing characteristics something that I should be concerned about? My sailing will be on inland lakes and for me its all about a liesurely time on the water with my wife, some friends or alone. I will not be racing.

There seems to be a lot of info, videos etc on the Mac's but not so much on the 260. Should that worry me? I'm thinking resale, parts etc... Are the 260's still in production and generally what is the market like for theses boats?

Shanker
I sailed a 26c Macgregor for 8 years and loved it. In July we purchased a 96 Hunter 26.
We went for the Hunter for room and because we slip now and don't go from lake to lake like we used to.
Some observatins,
The Hunter is higher off the water giving more room inside with the trade off being docking in a cross wind. The Hunter carries its passengers with more comfort and I love the water access for swimming

. My wife loves the inside. The Mac bed is easier to get into but both are comfortable.
Both are also well mannered in a blow, they tilt fast but find their grove and scoot. The Hunter seems faster.
If I was traveling from lake to lake I would favor the Mac (primarily due to weight and my small truck). Being in a slip 7 months of the year we are liking the Hunter a lot. You need to go out a few times in both.

Sep 25, 2008
Shanker;

I am not sure if you bought a boat or not. If you have the time, call 919-795-8789. Leave your name and phone number as I will call you on another phone. I am retired thus no longer selling boats

I was the top dealer for Hunter for the water ballast boats and also sold the Mac 26X as well. I am the expert on these Hunters and if you want to archive the forum in the past, you will note Crazy Dave Condon. I can give you the lowdown as I am the expert in this case as it was me who pursued Hunter to build these water ballast boats and that simple mast raise system which I designed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.