Hunter 260 "New" Deck Hardware Install

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
So... been slowly modifying our tiller 260. Next step is installing the new (used) asym spi gear. Love kites but will rig a quick release on the tack to help the pucker in tight quarters/solo sailing.

Need a bit of directionality please. #1. Know about the imbedded backing plates. Plan to install a new clutch, 4 fairleads and two mid ship docking cleats. Is the existing hardware stainless and thru bolted through the backing plates?

#2. Have found 1 " + plastic plugs for the liner holes. Thoughts on using a long bit for the initial external hole, popping thru the liner, use a hole saw for the plugs, countersink and bed the new stainless hardware bolts w/backing washers?

#3 Scare myself silly solo flying the chute. Scored a sock cheap and was planning on another cleat on the mast for the sock line. Anybody run these from the cockpit? Spi halyard is run back. THANKS!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The only point I can respond to here is about running the halyard to the cockpit. I have found it easier to leave the halyard at the mast. I was constantly running back and forth between the foredeck and the cockpit. Now I hoist the spinnaker and tie it off at the mast. Normally I have one other person with me but the one time I hoisted it solo it was still easier. And trust me, I’m NOT trying to play Superman. It just works better for me.

Nov 18, 2016
Kermit,

Good to know. Its all subject to finding out what works.

I repurposed the jib halyard and fished it through the appropriate spi slots in the mast. No issues cleating on the mast. Will need to experiment.

Limiting foredeck time solo is always good too. I'm big and the boat is small.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I actually have wondered about lengthening the sock control line and running it to the cockpit. My holdup has been how to connect the new length of line to the existing line.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a similar question about the H26 deck... on the starboard side, there are backing plates glassed into the deck for the organizer and clutch. On the port side, you can see what looks like the mirror image of backing plates glassed into the hull but there are no organizer and clutches installed on the port side. Do we know that the backing plate exists? If I wanted to add another organizer and clutch could I tap a thread into those plates (assuming they exist)?

upload_2019-4-29_18-14-0.png

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The plate encapsulated in the fiberglass are aluminum plates that are drilled and tapped. Generally found where there are raised platforms like the winch, cleats and so on. Generally found where there is no acess from inside on the cabin ceiling .

There are swivel based camcleats that are made for the mast for up to a 5/16 inch halyard.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
rgranger,
I just installed rope clutches on the port side of my H26. there was an aluminum plate imbedded on mine.
Mine is a 96 model. now don't holler at me if you drill into yours and the plate is not there, but on mine it was.

Nov 18, 2016
Crazy Dave,

So sounds like the thing to do is drill with a small diameter bit where I want to place hardware. If I hit metal - great! Drill with the appropriate diameter and tap.

Is there a list of hardware (screws) used in historic tapped deck mounting?

No metal - again have found 1 "+ plastic plugs for the liner holes. Thoughts on using a long bit for the initial external hole, popping thru the liner, use a hole saw for the plugs, countersink and bed the new stainless hardware bolts w/backing washers?

Thanks again to all! Great info!

JT

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
rgranger,
I just installed rope clutches on the port side of my H26. there was an aluminum plate imbedded on mine.
Mine is a 96 model. now don't holler at me if you drill into yours and the plate is not there, but on mine it was.
:beer:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
No metal - again have found 1 "+ plastic plugs for the liner holes. Thoughts on using a long bit for the initial external hole, popping thru the liner, use a hole saw for the plugs, countersink and bed the new stainless hardware bolts w/backing washers?
Thats how I installed new clutches on my O'day 25 with no embedded plates. Worked well.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
how to connect the new length of line to the existing line
Have :beer: while searching for longer line on the interweb. Then have :beer: while waiting for courier to arrive with longer line. Then have a :beer: (or two) while deciding to do the work or have a :beer:.
Oh the choices.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Have :beer: while searching for longer line on the interweb. Then have :beer: while waiting for courier to arrive with longer line. Then have a :beer: (or two) while deciding to do the work or have a :beer:.
Oh the choices.
Ah the benefits of SBO. Why didn’t I think of that? Thank you! <<HUG>>