Hunter 260 Mast Stepping System

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Not familiar with or have we seen any reference to this on the Internet. Not a trailer sailor but will need to eventually raise and lower the mast once we find a 260. Get the mast up, the boat in the water and anchored at our mooring. My concern is that it does not appear to be difficult other than preventing the mast from swinging laterally in the process, thus taking 2 more people to assist. I image there would be some sort of temporary sling or line assembly guide on the mast to prevent the mast from swinging and tearing itself off the mast attachment plate. Also assume we need snap down mast rigging line attachments so that once this rigging is tuned, we'll not have to repeat this process when lowering and raising the mast in the future.
Any advise regarding this concern of ours would be helpful

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First take a picture to show any side bars from deck upward six feet on mast.
Secondly look under boat info/ Hunter resources/260/downloads for owners manual and mast raise instructions.
Third read it clearly and write down your questions.
Fourth send me a private message with your name, phone number and location as I will call
Finally I designed that system

Crazy Dave

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Read the Manual and it mentioned Mast Struts, assume these are the answer to my needing two people to step the mast. I assume the tackel and mast struts are a portion of the Mast Raising System, correct.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
sent you a private message. It gets no better when I designed the mast raising system. You have no idea who I am but will be glad to help you in any way I can. I keep all contacts confidential and erase that information when problem solved.

crazy daveeeeeeeeeee

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I have a H26 and raise and lower alone. The mast raising system works well. Just have to be sure to follow the process correctly. The 260 is a little different in that it has rigid struts that keep the mast from falling to the side. The H26 has baby stays, but the principle is the same. The system allows you to control the up and down, can stop anywhere along the way to check lines and untangle if necessary. It's just one of the awesome features of these boats.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Also recommend a YouTube video. I typed “Hunter 260 mast raising “. Into that Google thing and then selected videos.. a few dozen popped right up

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
So not being familiar with this Hunter 260 leads me to believe via any photos that I can conjure up that these Mast Struts remain connected to the mast as part if its lateral support system and I assume are a part of the mast rigging. Are these mask struts adjustable for stepping the mast? I question why there is no bind on the mast or struts when the angle of the mast, while raising or lowering, should cause an unnecessary amount of stress on these struts? Are they adjustable and or do these struts remain on the mast as a part of the sailing process?
Close to finding that 260 and want to make sure , compared to my years of Catalina Sailing, that this mast strut system is a permanent fixture. They appear to be in the way of some reasonably free travel forward while sailing

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
The mast struts on the 260 stay permanently attached. When the mast is stepped, the base of the mast lifts off the tabernacle and allows the mast to swing up/down. They do provide some lateral support while sailing, but at the same time they can be somewhat "in the way of some reasonably free travel forward while sailing". Though I have never heard of anyone complain about that. I suppose they are something to hold on to while moving fore and aft.

In case you haven't realized, the H26 and the 260 are very similar with the same hull. Major differences are with the transom and some interior changes. The H26 has the baby stays for mast stepping that are removed and stowed for sailing, thus no obstructions on deck.

Here's a video showing the whole process for a 260 completed single handed. Then there is a video for the H19 which has baby stays, same as the H26, so you can see the comparison.

The only thing I would add is, do not put too much pressure on the gin poll, you could bend it. In the second video for the H19, he shows how he pulls on the gin pole to help raise the mast. The caution also applies to the H26 and 260.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Thank You, dog. I have looked at the 260 Video, but there is no indication in that video that these Mast Struts even exist.
Looing at the Baby Stays next.
Sure thankful for the time spent walking me through my earlier concerns

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Thank You, dog. I have looked at the 260 Video, but there is no indication in that video that these Mast Struts even exist.
Looing at the Baby Stays next.
Sure thankful for the time spent walking me through my earlier concerns
John,

You can clearly see the struts holding the base of the mast high up off the deck. They are the metal rods attached to the sides of the mast. Refer to 1:45 in the video. And at 2:03 you can see where they attach to the deck.

-Doug

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Sorry about the "dog" I was sure I typed Doug....missed the "U" in Doug.
Regardless, you are correct.
Lessons learned......thanks

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you find that no one can answer your questions or the finer points, just send a private message. I have arthritis in my hands which is why I prefer to talk.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you find that no one can answer your questions or the finer points, just send a private message. I have arthritis in my hands which is why I prefer to talk.
Dave designed the system for the H26 so you should give him a call.