Hunter 260 Bilge Question

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
I've been a long-time lurker on the forums, but have been searching for a Hunter 260 for some time. I inspected one today and had a quick question I'm hopeful someone here may be able to assist...

I noticed the deck seam at the swim platform was quite low to the water even with the boat empty, but I didn't think too much of it as I had heard these boats lie pretty low. While the boat was very dry overall, I found two access hatches under the aft birth that were filled with water almost to the hatch opening. (maybe 1.5-2" below). I asked the broker about it who claimed that was access to the water ballast. This didn't seem quite right to me and I suspected it was a bilge access area, which from my look at the owners manual seems to be correct?

While looking at the boat, I did check in the battery area in back of the cabin, as well as under the sinks, bunks, etc. and everything was dry. The hatch was a bit suspect but no signs of water on the main cabin floor.

When I go back, I'm definitely going to check the functionality of the bilge pump. That said, I was curious in your experience if these boats are typically fairly wet, or if I could be dealing with a more series leak at the transom?

If the transom is leaking, how bad are these typically to correct? Is this area of the hull cored?

There's a lot I like about the boat - newer trailer, solid motor, nice autopilot, monthly bottom cleanings by a diver, etc. but it is otherwise cosmetically quite rough and needs a lot of detailing. The price is right on it but want to make sure I'm not getting into a mess. I do suspect it has been sitting on the water for a while without the owner sailing it.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
On my Hunter 26, the 260 predecessor, that is definitely the bilge, with a bulge pump and float switch. That is NOT the water ballast.

EDIT: I don’t know for sure where water ends up if the ballast tank is leaking. If the boat is in salt water you can check if the bilge water is salty or fresh to understand where it might be coming from.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
If the water has been standing there for a significant length of time this recent thread might be relevant- there is a wood structural member which can rot- it is glassed over so probably OK. but worth checking:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The "access" to the water ballast tank is the last step of the stairs going into the companionway. Flip up the wooden step and you will see what looks like the drain plug on an old john boat.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I have had my H26 slipped for 2 months January February and I had about 2 cups of water in bilge under aft bed normally I go for a week and it’s dry the entire time. I would definitely investigate where that water came from.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I sometimes get a little water leaking in from the companionway hatch, but I have never had water in my bilge.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was the top dealer for this boat and helped in the design. Send a private message to me with contact info and will be glad to help.
Crazy Dave

May 21, 2020
hunter 260 long island
For what its worth, we recently purchased a Hunter 260 with the same issue. We pumped it dry and it pretty much stayed dry.
The area behind the pulldown hatches at the stern of the queen berth is very dry. We laid out paper towels to identify future leaks. To date, they have been minimal. we have been tracking water before and after every sail and after every rain and after every time we hose down the deck. We havent had any sort of water that causes us concern.

btw, we picked up some very nifty portable pumps (battery powered) and they are very handy for these type of pumpouts.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The hull to deck joint is probably cracked advising the poster what to look for as to leaks and how to fix. No water in other compartments nor any water stains noticed on wall. Doubt this would be the cause but once in a rarity the screws holding down the aft deck plate for wheel steering might be a cause sometimes for leaks

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Hi @Crazy Dave Condon and others. I'm very appreciative of the feedback on this thread. Right now I'm going back to the negotiating table with the seller based on this repair and will let all of you know how it goes. They are going to pull the boat from the water this weekend so excited to see what that leads to, as well.

Just as further follow up in case anyone has this problem in the future... key steps were inspecting the common problem areas like under the sinks as well as the walls for water stains that might have been coming down from above. If I had others with me another step is to have a couple guys stand on the back of the boat and see if water can be evidenced coming through.

In the meantime - if anyone is looking to sell a 260 or similar over the next few weeks in the Southeast US feel free to send me a PM ;-). I'll update this post in a week or so if I end up buying the boat.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Hi everyone - I spent quite a couple hours today on the boat going through every inch of it and noted that the water in the bilge was fresh, not salt. I think I was too hasty when I looked at the boat initially - not sure how I messed that up (probably something to do with the 95 degree day and extra hot cabin the first time I was looking!). Upon further inspection, I think a big culprit was the screws for the aft deck plate that @Crazy Dave Condon noted above as several were loose.

I also confirmed that the bilge pump wasn't coming on automatically, but it did work when I held the switch open at the circuit panel. I'm guessing something is wrong with the float switch.

That said, I bought the boat and am looking forward to taking possession of it next weekend and refitting her over the next month. The price was right and it had a brand new trailer that had never seen the water before, so that was a huge plus. Will also be looking for a new mainsail in the near future as the one that is on it is serviceable but not much life left.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Congrats to you. We've had ours for several years now. I'd recommend a companion way cover if you don't have one and reset the teak wood on the companionway slider in some butyl tape. Screw heads as well. The important two pieces are the ones forward, specifically the top one. It's the one that diverts water to the side channels. I've got to address my teak inlay because of a leak there...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First, always put something under the cover to divert water. Order it without snaps installed so you can use with those already on boat if you have a camper top also referred to as companionway cover