Hunter 26 with a Stern Crack

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I found a slow cure comes out harder, Water cannot migrate thru and tenacious to holding for many years. It has been years since working with Marine Tex, so I will not venture out on this

Mar 19, 2021
Hunter 26 Chicago
Hey Crazy Dave, really appreciate all the advice you've provided!

I too have a split in the ridge on the transom of my 1996 Hunter 26. The split runs about a foot on either side of the rudder, and as far as I can tell is only in the center of this rear ridge (no cracks along the transom seam joint).
Hard to tell how deep the crack is until I open them up a bit more....
I've attached a few pictures for reference.

Based on your responses, it seems relatively clear how I should approach the fix, but I just wanted to confirm before I start ordering supplies and prepping the area. I am a handy guy and feel very qualified for the work, but this will be my first sailboat repair.

Sounds like the plan for attack is:
-buzz into the cracks with a dremel until you've found solid material beneath, bevel edges for solid epoxy adhesion
-prep area according to epoxy (light sand, clean with acetone)
-fill area with Interlux Watertite 2-part epoxy filler
-let dry, sand it back, and then hit it with Krylon white plastic paint

Anything I'm missing here? Also, a little curious about using Krylon vs. hunter matched gel coat for the final surface, but I love the price difference! Is there a specific Krylon rattlecan I should be looking for?
Thanks again for all the advice, Dave!

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was told both krylon plastic paints and gel coat are petroleum based but krylon plastic paint drys in air quickly while you have to add material to gel coat that floats to the surface sometimes referenced as to PVA TO CREATE A COVER for the gel coat to harden. Also gel coat will not dry or harden below 64 degrees

Private message sent to you