Hunter 26 toilet

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
I have a 1994 Hunter 26. The toilet is a Camco model, looks on the small side and maybe the original but not sure. we are looking at upgrading to a larger toilet so we don't have to empty it as often. When we have four people on the boat it fills pretty fast.

I'm looking at buying a larger Camp toilet and wondering if they fit universally? Any suggestions for which ones I should get? any tips in general?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
On any boat much smaller than about 30', a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty-- makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Dometic/SeaLand Sanifpottie 975 MSD...SeaLand SaniPottie 975 MSD

And, as always, I'm glad to answer any questions about it.

--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Thetford has discontinued the Curve, replaced it with a battery powered electric flush model 365/565

However, I saw something interesting in the exploded drawing for the Curve...It LOOKS LIKE you could turn yours into an MSD version (has fittings for pumpout) by replacing the pour out spout with a thread-barb hose fitting and creating a vent fitting using a Uniseal UNISEAL and a short piece of pvc pipe. Whether this would be worth doing depends on how much the tank holds (I couldn't find that in the specs). I'll be glad to help you work out the details if you'd be interested in doing that.

--Peggie

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
A also installed the Thetford curve and have been really happy with the design and its holding capacity . I was surprised that the curve was not supplied with MSD fitting.
looks like the 565 e is the curve renamed.

Ajp

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter marine 270 Merrick
I put this in my h26 mid 2000's;
Dometic SaniPottie 965 Toilet with MSD Fittings.
I configured it to be "pumped or dumped", using standard plastic fittings. worked well, it's 5 gal holding tank is large as pointed out. I will probably do the same in my, new to me 270. Its previous owner used three 2.5 gal non msd tanks to dump. alan

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
On any boat much smaller than about 30', a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty-- makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Dometic/SeaLand Sanifpottie 975 MSD...SeaLand SaniPottie 975 MSD

And, as always, I'm glad to answer any questions about it.

--Peggie
Question Headmistress!
Where can I find a diagram for installation of the MSD fitting and vent?
if I install an MSD fitting do they bring the pump out hose into the head via the companionway since I wont have an exterior fitting.

Ajp

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter marine 270 Merrick
Question Headmistress!
if I install an MSD fitting do they bring the pump out hose into the head via the companionway since I wont have an exterior fitting.
Well, you could do that depending where your head is and if the totally gross pump out hose is long enough. You would still have to attach a small length of sanitation hose and connect it to a proper fitting that would normally go through the deck. Honestly it’s not much more work to use a hole drill and go through the deck. As pointed out, many of the portapottie msd can be configured to pump or dump. Both the vent fitting and sanitation hose fitting can be unscrewed and caped with hardware that comes with them if needed to dump. Dr. Google has diagrams . Alan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Go to this retailer's listing for the Dometic/SeaLand 975MD Dometic SaniPottie 975MSD Toilet @Defender| Scroll down to "Description" and just below "features" you'll see a link to instruction manual which includes an explodes drawing...the pumpout fitting and vent are #s 11 and 12 in the drawing. Ignore "sold separately" in the parts list...that only applies to the portable version.

The last thing you'll want is a dripping pumpout hose inside your boat!! You'll have to install a deck pumpout fitting. It's not an expensive part, nor is it difficult...a DIY job for most people, but as a new boat owner you may need some knowledgeable help to drill the hole for it.

--Peggie

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
Thanks! You’re awesome.

I’m an architect with tons of renovation experience. This is my first boat! I will ask around the marina for someone who has experience so I don’t fudge it.