Hunter 26 Is not seaworthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Victor

Hello there! Please help. I was thinking of buying a Hunter 26 waterbalasted boat until I’ve heard from my friend that this boat is not doing very well under 15+ knots of wind and 4+ feet waves. So please share your experience if you were caught in those or worse conditions. I think that even if my friend was wrong, and boat can handle hurricane just fine, it would be very beneficial to hear what you would do to prepare the boat for a rough sea.

W

witheld to protect the innocent....

without being too cynical.....

Victor was also the guy who started the firearms string last Nov. that nearly drew blood.....

V

victor

Wow!

Wow! Looks like i am on something if anonymous critics are accusing me of drinking their blood!

J

Jim A

Victor

Victor center board boats are for protected cruising areas. You can take it in the Ocean on a clam day, but they can't take a pounding. Boats are design for different types of sailing. The H26 was designed for protected crusing grounds like lakes, rivers and bays.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Got caught in 30kts+ and 6ft waves

It was a wild ride. Not something I would plan to do. The boat did well, bare poles doing 9kts downwind. WHEEEEEEE Jim S/V Java

D

Don

Yeah, right...

If you're even considering being out in a hurricane in a 26WB, or a situation where you might have to ride one out at sea on any other water ballast boat, you're on to something all right. And that is meant to be cynical.

E

Ed

Lake Michigan

If you're considering the H26 for Lake Michigan it should do OK for the most part. I run a 23.5 out of Waukegan and am comfortable in most conditions under 20kts and around 4ft waves. Pay attention to the weather as it can churn up pretty quick. It is not comfortable at 25+kts although there is an H26 I've seen that goes out in more than I care to deal with.

A

alan

The boat does fine at 15 knots sustained...

...with four foot bay chop. I've had it out in 25+ sustained with higher gusts. To handle that better you need a deeper reef point in the main. As said previously this water ballasted boat will handle it but may not be the best choice for those conditions. Thrilling and exciting but not exactly fun. alan

V

Victor

Short resume

Well people. Let me have some resume: There is an opinion that coastal curser should not be seaworthy in a first place. I cannot agree with that. Coastal cruiser is a boat with limited autonomy. If it is not seaworthy, it is just a bad boat. Other argument is that only fixed keel boat can be seaworthy. I won’t agree with that. I’ve spent 2 years in the ocean on a small navy vessel. We didn’t have fixed keel. And we saw quite bad weather in the Northern Sea. I think that if water ballasted boat is not seaworthy – it is bad design, not bad technology. Ed, Jim, Alan – thank you. This is what I was looking for. Your opinion is that this boat won’t be torn apart and won’t loose control under 35 miles of wind. Being comfortable – is another story. I am going to sail in Lake Michigan. My concern is that if I am caught in a bad weather boat that I am at should be safe for my family and for me. Other choice is Macgregor. Their solution is to crank the engine and to motor fast away from the weather. This sounds good. My problem with Macgregor is that if you look at this boat at a close range, it looks very cheap. I had a feeling that I can punch trough its hull with my bare hand. But look what owners are writing about Macgregor: http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/p11.htm Again, I think that your answer would address concerns of many first time boat buyers. So thank you for you input.

R

Robert Avent

Seaworthy With Limitations

The boat is a good coastal cruiser in fair weather. I would not hesitate to sail it from Galveston to New Orleans (with good weather predicted). I would not try to sail it from Galveston to Montego Bay (or anywhere that I couldn't get to a safe harbor in a few hours if the weather turned.) I don't doubt you could survive eight foot waves and thirty knot winds, but it wouldn't be advisable. I wouldn't want to be trying to fry fish below under these conditions. *yks

M

Mike Pajewski

Sail Lake Michigan all the time

I have a 7 year H26. Originally bought in Iowa, I have sailed the boat on red Rock Lake, Lake Superior, Mississippi River, lake Winnebago and lake Michigan. I know the boat will handle much tougher weather than I will. However, the prudent sailor checks his marine forecast and does not unnecessarily sail (especially daysail) in weather that is outside the range of the boat. The Hunter 26 WB is rated for protected bays and lakes. It was never meant to sail open oceans in bad weather. That does not mean it is a bad boat, in fact it fits the niche that Hunter expected it to, and then some. When I traded in my 23.5, I looked at a lot of pocket cruisers, including the MacGregor-which neither sails nor motors well. The guy who had one in our Marina on the Mississippi rarely sailed it. I've been caught in couple of storms over the years in both of my Hunter water ballast boats and they handled them fine. I've sailed mine from Manitowoc to Door County several times and am looking forward to a trip across the lake to Grand Travere Bay or Mackinac Island.

M

Mark

Well how about this!

I have been sailing the 260 now for a few years. Yep it sure is not one that you would head of in the Sydney - Hobart but I have had her in terrible conditions. Sails down with 35-40 knot winds and 15' swells with 2-3 foot waves on top. How did she handle it? Only damage was the mounting board for the water tank broke away from the sides of the hull. Yep, shouldn't have been out there but few sailors can predict the Southern Ocean. It can change almost in a heart beat. So yep I probably should have been in the 36 footer but I got home and at no time did I feel unsafe. The arm chair sailors will probably come in about this boat and that boat and the wonderfull sea capabilities of yachts like IP's and HR's etc etc but I still stand by my old saying. Its the sailor who sails the world, not the yacht.

G

Gary Verburg

can handle it, but

I have had my 26 out in 20 to 30 mph winds with one foot waves. With respect to the wind, you need to reef at 12 to 15 mph. If reefed, it can handle winds in this range, but I did experience strong weather helm, I think primarily because I could not get the genoa rolled in to where it was small enough but still efficient. With a different sail head sail, I suspect the weather helm I was experiencing would be different. Even with one foot waves, you notice some pounding, so I expect four foot waves would be more uncomfortable. All this being said, I never felt like there was a safety issue with the boat.

K

ken koons

Hunter 240 owner

The water ballast boats can handle it. I've had my 240 on Lake Michigan's East shore in 4 to 6 ft waves and it handled it fine. Reef the sails and she handles well in strong winds. With just the reefed main we ran downwind at over 6 knots (with 20 knots of wind) between Put in Bay and Kelley's Island on Lake Erie this past summer. These boats are a compromise, Water Ballast and swing keel make them easier to trailer and launch, and get into shallow water. If you plan to keep a boat on Lake Michigan at a marina or on a buoy, I wouldn't see why you'd choose this boat over a fixed keel boat. Fixed keel boats heel less and have a lower center of gravity.

G

George Kobernus

H260 Flotilla WI-Traverse Bay

Been thinking of the same trip. Maybe we can work out a mini flotilla this summer. Give me an e-mail. Gkobernus@chartermi.net George Kobernus

C

Crazy Dave Condon

Victor

Ask the fellows for my email and then contact me. Too often, I hear wanna be sailors talk about sailboats but often, they do not know that much. I am probably the most knowledgable of trailerable sailboats in the country and I am considered the godfather to the 260 and others. If we talk, understand that I am not selling you a boat but you need to be better informed as it would appear you need some advice. At that point, I will suggest to whom to contact. The deal should you take my offer up is that you cannot reveal where I am or who I am other than I am Crazy.

B

Brian

My admittedly limited experience

Many of the people on this site have a lot more experience to share than I do but here is my 2 cents worth. I hope it is useful. I like the H26 because of the freedom it provides. The boat seems perfect for our use so we must be the type of people it was designed for. Normally it is docked in my front yard on an inland lake in Michigan. The keel has to be raised to dock (although not the rudder since the water is much deeper that far out) Most of my sailing is therefore in calm water regardless of wind strength. Several times a year though I trailer it to the Great Lakes for sailing trips of a few days or more. I have sailed to Mackinac Island, etc. Some of the roughest conditions have been outside the Mackinac Island harbor on a Sunday afternoon with 3 foot waves mixed with numerous, steep, confused wakes from the nearly contant stream of high speed ferries coming in and out of the harbor. Wind was 15 - 20 knots. In those confused conditions the motion of the foredeck made walking there to secure the hanked on jib difficult but the motion of the cockpit was fine. A fixed keel probably would have made the motion easier especially on the foredeck but I suspect it would have also been wetter. On the H26, the bow immediately rose up each wave and never really dug in. With the high freeboard the boat has it was totally dry. My wife still does not like heeling very far so going to windward in stronger winds often means motoring but going downwind in stronger winds is a blast. Another rough area I've found is the entrance to the St Clair river, under the Blue Water Bridge, coming out of Lake Huron following the start of the Port Huron to Mackinac race. The current is 4 knots plus, the river curves, and there are deep underwater ledges that cause standing waves to appear. Add to this a steady stream of powerboats some 40 to 50 feet passing close by on both sides just barely on plane and the occasional large ship and you can get chop higher than the cabin roof. My kids were sitting backwards in the stern rail seats and dipping their feet in the water with each wave. The front part of the boat even got launched out of the water a couple of times. The deck and cockpit stayed totally dry though. The boat did not seem to mind the conditions although they were short lived.

J

John Revenboer

Atlantic

I sail my 260 between Miami and the Bahamas. Yes it can handle the wind and the waves exceept: The outboard is usesless in waves over 6 feet : the outboard is useless on a starboard tack in 15 + Knots and the one major problem is not the boat but the main sail. It needs a second set of reef points. I wonder why the factory buys the main sails with only one set of reef points.

C

C Smith

Reef points where?

Do you mean a reef point for a smaller sail area than the factory setting or one in between a full sail and the massive reef that the sail comes with? Second question: Why would you need the motor on a starboard tack in 15 knots of wind?

Status
Not open for further replies.